You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Jump to main content
Transferring ownership/ Assignments FAQs
Show all FAQs
- Browse FAQs
Transferring Ownership / Assignments
- Transferring Ownership / Assignments, Procedures
You may contact the Assignment Recordation Branch customer Service Desk at 571-272-3350 from 8:30 a.m. – 5 pm ET. You may e-mail questions about electronic trademark assignment filing to [email protected] or for electronic patent assignment filing to [email protected] .
To view online training, go to: http://helix-1.uspto.gov/player/20150122_AssignmentDatabase.html
Payment may be made by use of a check, credit card, money order or USPTO deposit account if submitting documents in paper. Trademark assignments submitted electronically may be paid by credit card, USPTO deposit account or electronic fund transfer (EFT). The USPTO accepts VISA, MASTERCARD, AMERICAN EXPRESS and DISCOVER credit cards.
>> see How to Pay Fees for a current fee schedule and for more about fee payments
No. All documents that meet the minimum requirement in 37 CFR 3 are processed and recorded. Persons buying or selling properties should be sure that there is an accurate chain of title in place before submitting recordation requests.
All the searchable information going on the public record is transcribed directly from the cover sheet. The office does not compare the contents of the cover sheet to the underlying document to determine what data should be entered or to attempt to identify and resolve discrepancies.
Yes. But, when submitting documents electronically through EFS, ETAS or EPAS, the cover sheet is electronically created based on the information the filer enters on the electronic form.
No, these forms are not mandatory. However, the USPTO strongly encourages their use. Completing the forms in their entirety ensures that all the required information for recordation has been sent to the office. The forms are available in PDF-fillable format on the USPTO Forms page , thus making them quick and easy to prepare.
When these forms are received in the USPTO, they are scanned along with the supporting documentation. The bibliographic data from the cover sheet is then entered into the PTAS system and the documents are processed.
Assignments filed online via EPAS or ETAS are generally recorded within hours of submission.
If the assignment has not yet been recorded, contact the Assignment Recordation Branch by telephone and we may be able to suspend the recordation. The recordation will be suspended for two days to allow time for submission of a written letter requesting that the recordation be cancelled and that a refund be issued.
If the assignment has been recorded, it cannot be cancelled. You must follow the procedures outlined in the Trademark Manual of Examining Procedure (TMEP) Section 503.06 at http://tess2.uspto.gov/tmdb/tmep/0500.htm#_T50306 .
For further information, please contact the Assignment Recordation Branch Customer Service Desk at 571-272-3350 from 8:30 am – 5:00 pm Eastern Time.
ETAS is located at http://etas.uspto.gov
Documents are usually returned as “ non-recordable ” for one of three reasons:
- A critical piece of bibliographic information was omitted from the cover sheet;
- The document itself is illegible or of such poor quality that it cannot be scanned electronically, or
- The correct fee was not paid.
The office simply puts the information on the public record and does not verify the validity of the information. Recordation is a ministerial function. The office neither makes a determination of the legality of the transaction nor the right of the submitting party to take the action.
Essentially the rules:
(1) specify the minimum information about the transaction that must be submitted;
(2) require submitters to submit this information of a separate cover sheet; and
(3) specify that submissions must be legible and of such quality to permit processing; and
(4) pay the proper recording fee.
The rules permit submission of true copies of assignment-related documents; original documents are not required nor desired, as they will not be returned.
All assignments are processed through an image-based workflow management system called the Patent and Trademark Assignment System (PTAS).
- Paper documents are manually scanned into the PTAS. Documents received electronically through EFS, ETAS or EPAS are electronically scanned into the PTAS system.
- Bibliographic data concerning the property (ies) and party (ies) involved in the transaction are transcribed from the manually scanned image by the PTO or are entered by the requesting party at the time of submission through EFS, ETAS or EPAS. This bibliographic data is entered into the USPTO Assignment Historical Database. The data submitted is reviewed for completeness and the documents are determined to be recordable or non-recordable.
- The images of the coversheet and the document found recordable are automatically assigned reel and frame numbers by the PTAS and put on searchable media (microfilm and CD-ROM).
- PTAS software then superimposes the assigned reel and frame numbers, the official recordation date stamp and the payment information on the images.
- The PTAS generates a “Notice of Recordation” which is returned to the correspondence address on the cover sheet.
Documents found to be non-recordable are returned to the customer with a “Notice of Non-Recordation” citing the reason for non-recordation.
No. Everything required for the public record is transcribed from the cover sheet.
No. All documents that meet the minimum requirements outlined in 37 CFR 3 are processed and recorded.
The Assignment Recordation Branch in the Public Records Division processes and records assignment documents for both patent and trademark properties.
EPAS is the Electronic Patent Assignment System. Using EPAS, a Patent Assignment Recordation Coversheet may be created and submitted by completing on-line web forms and attaching the supporting legal documentation as TIFF image(s) or a PDF file for submission via the Internet.
ETAS is the Electronic Trademark Assignment System. Using ETAS, a Trademark Assignment Recordation Coversheet may be created and submitted by completing on-line web forms and attaching the supporting legal documentation as TIFF image(s) or a PDF file for submission via the Internet.
EPAS is located at http://epas.uspto.gov
Write your message *
We may have questions about your feedback, please provide your email address.
Email address *
For other assistance, please see our contact us page.
Order copies of U.S. Patent and Trademark Office documents
Use the Certified Copy Center to custom order Patent and Trademark documents from the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). Visit our frequently asked questions (FAQs) for additional information.
Published patent documents
- Patent documents
- Patent assignment documents
- Published patent application content documents
View the full list of published patent documents and fees
- Trademark documents
- Trademark assignment documents
- Trademark application content documents
View the full list of trademark documents and fees
Unpublished patent documents
- Unpublished patent assignment documents
- Unpublished application content documents
View the full list of unpublished patent documents and fees
Note : Copies of patent related documents that have not been issued or published are not available to the general public or open for public inspection; and no information or copies may be obtained without the written consent of the applicant, attorney of record, or the assignee. Documented entitlement or a power to inspect must accompany your request. During the order process you will have the opportunity to upload documentation that will be used for entitlement verification.
Download free uncertified documents
- Patent Public Search - PPUBS
- Patent application history search - PAIR
- Patent assignments search
- Trademark assignments search
- Trademark and trademark applications search - TSDR
For ordering issues or general questions please contact:, customer service phone line.
- Hours: 8:30 am – 5 pm ET, Monday – Friday (except federal holidays)
- Toll free: 1-800-972-6382 | Local number: 571-272-3150
For sign in and USPTO.gov account issues contact:
Uspto.gov account customer service.
- Hours: 8:30 am – 8 pm ET, Monday – Friday (except federal holidays)
- Toll free: 1-800-786-9199 | Local number: 571-272-1000
- TTY: 1-800-877-8339
Hours: 8:30 am – 5 pm ET, Monday – Friday (except federal holidays) Toll free: 1-800-972-6382 Local number: 571-272-3150
After hours technical support phone line
Hours: 24 hours a day, 7 days a week Toll free: 1-800-786-9199
You do not have access!
You do not have access to the Certified Copy Center at this time.