114 Good Argumentative Essay Topics for Students in 2023
April 25, 2023
The skill of writing an excellent argumentative essay is a crucial one for every high school or college student to master. Argumentative essays teach students how to organize their thoughts logically and present them in a convincing way. This skill is helpful not only for those pursuing degrees in law , international relations , or public policy , but for any student who wishes to develop their critical thinking faculties. In this article, we’ll cover what makes a good argument essay and offer several argumentative essay topics for high school and college students. Let’s begin!
What is an Argumentative Essay
An argumentative essay is an essay that uses research to present a reasoned argument on a particular subject . As with the persuasive essay , the purpose of this essay is to sway the reader to the writer’s position. A strong persuasive essay makes its point through diligent research, evidence, and logical reasoning skills.
Argumentative Essay Format
A strong argumentative essay will be based on facts, not feelings. Each of these facts should be supported by clear evidence from credible sources . Furthermore, a good argumentative essay will have an easy-to-follow structure. When organizing your argumentative essay, use this format as a guide: introduction, supporting body paragraphs, paragraphs addressing common counterarguments, and conclusion.
In the introduction , the writer presents their position and thesis statement —a sentence that summarizes the paper’s main points. The body paragraphs then draw upon supporting evidence to back up this initial statement, with each paragraph focusing on its own point. In the counterargument paragraph , the writer acknowledges and refutes opposing viewpoints. Finally, in the conclusion , the writer restates the main argument made in the thesis statement and summarizes the points of the essay. Additionally, the conclusion may offer a final proposal to persuade the reader of the essay’s position.
For more tips and tricks on formatting an argumentative essay, check out this useful guide from Khan Academy.
How to Write an Effective Argumentative Essay, Step by Step
- Choose your topic. Use the list below to help you pick a topic. Ideally, the topic you choose will be meaningful to you.
- Once you’ve selected your topic, it’s time to sit down and get to work! Use the library, the web, and any other resources to gather information about your argumentative essay topic. Research widely but smartly. As you go, take organized notes, marking the source of every quote and where it may fit in the scheme of your larger essay. Remember to look for possible counterarguments.
- Outline . Using the argumentative essay format above, create an outline for your essay. Brainstorm a thesis statement covering your argument’s main points, and begin to put together the pieces of the essay, focusing on logical flow.
- Write . Draw on your research and outline to create a solid first draft. Remember, your first draft doesn’t need to be perfect. (As Voltaire says, “Perfect is the enemy of good.”) For now, focus on getting the words down on paper.
- Edit . Be your own critical eye. Read what you’ve written back to yourself. Does it make sense? Where can you improve? What can you cut?
Argumentative Essay Topics for Middle School, High School, and College Students
Family argumentative essay topics.
- Should the government provide financial incentives for families to have children to address the declining birth rate?
- Should we require parents to provide their children with a certain level of nutrition and physical activity to prevent childhood obesity?
- Should parents implement limits on how much time their children spend playing video games?
- Should cellphones be banned from family/holiday gatherings?
- Should we hold parents legally responsible for their children’s actions?
- Should children have the right to sue their parents for neglect?
- Should parents have the right to choose their child’s religion?
- Are spanking and other forms of physical punishment an effective method of discipline?
- Should courts allow children to choose where they live in cases of divorce?
- Should parents have the right to monitor teens’ activity on social media?
- Should parents control their child’s medical treatment, even if it goes against the child’s wishes?
Education Argument Essay Topics
- Should schools ban the use of technology like ChatGPT?
- Are zoos unethical, or necessary for conservation and education?
- To what degree should we hold parents responsible in the event of a school shooting?
- Should schools offer students a set number of mental health days?
- Should school science curriculums offer a course on combating climate change?
- Should public libraries be allowed to ban certain books?
- What role, if any, should prayer play in public schools?
- Should schools push to abolish homework?
- Are gifted and talented programs in schools more harmful than beneficial due to their exclusionary nature?
- Should universities do away with Greek life?
- Should schools remove artwork, such as murals, that some perceive as offensive?
- Should the government grant parents the right to choose alternative education options for their children and use taxpayer funds to support these options?
- Is homeschooling better than traditional schooling for children’s academic and social development?
- Should we require schools to teach sex education to reduce teen pregnancy rates?
- Should we require schools to provide comprehensive sex education that includes information about both homosexual and heterosexual relationships?
- Should colleges use affirmative action and other race-conscious policies to address diversity on campus?
- Should the government fund public universities to make higher education more accessible to low-income students?
- Should the government fund universal preschool to improve children’s readiness for kindergarten?
Government Argumentative Essay Topics
- Should the U.S. decriminalize prostitution?
- Should the U.S. issue migration visas to all eligible applicants?
- Should the federal government cancel all student loan debt?
- Should we lower the minimum voting age? If so, to what?
- Should the federal government abolish all laws penalizing drug production and use?
- Should the U.S. use its military power to deter a Chinese invasion of Taiwan?
- Should the U.S. supply Ukraine with further military intelligence and supplies?
- Should the North and South of the U.S. split up into two regions?
- Should Americans hold up nationalism as a critical value?
- Should we permit Supreme Court justices to hold their positions indefinitely?
- Should Supreme Court justices be democratically elected?
- Is the Electoral College still a productive approach to electing the U.S. president?
- Should the U.S. implement a national firearm registry?
- Is it ethical for countries like China and Israel to mandate compulsory military service for all citizens?
- Should the U.S. government implement a ranked-choice voting system?
- Should institutions that benefited from slavery be required to provide reparations?
- Based on the 1619 project, should history classes change how they teach about the founding of the U.S.?
Bioethics Argumentative Essay Topics
- Should the U.S. government offer its own healthcare plan?
- In the case of highly infectious pandemics, should we focus on individual freedoms or public safety when implementing policies to control the spread?
- Should we legally require parents to vaccinate their children to protect public health?
- Is it ethical for parents to use genetic engineering to create “designer babies” with specific physical and intellectual traits?
- Should the government fund research on embryonic stem cells for medical treatments?
- Should the government legalize assisted suicide for terminally ill patients?
Social Media Argumentative Essay Topics
- Should the federal government increase its efforts to minimize the negative impact of social media?
- Do social media and smartphones strengthen one’s relationships?
- Should antitrust regulators take action to limit the size of big tech companies?
- Should social media platforms ban political advertisements?
- Should the federal government hold social media companies accountable for instances of hate speech discovered on their platforms?
- Do apps such as TikTok and Instagram ultimately worsen the mental well-being of teenagers?
- Should governments oversee how social media platforms manage their users’ data?
- Should social media platforms like Facebook enforce a minimum age requirement for users?
- Should social media companies be held responsible for cases of cyberbullying?
- Should the United States ban TikTok?
Religion Argument Essay Topics
- Should religious institutions be tax-exempt?
- Should religious symbols such as the hijab or crucifix be allowed in public spaces?
- Should religious freedoms be protected, even when they conflict with secular laws?
- Should the government regulate religious practices?
- Should we allow churches to engage in political activities?
- Religion: a force for good or evil in the world?
- Should the government provide funding for religious schools?
- Is it ethical for healthcare providers to deny abortions based on religious beliefs?
- Should religious organizations be allowed to discriminate in their hiring practices?
- Should we allow people to opt out of medical treatments based on their religious beliefs?
- Should the U.S. government hold religious organizations accountable for cases of sexual abuse within their community?
- Should religious beliefs be exempt from anti-discrimination laws?
- Should religious individuals be allowed to refuse services to others based on their beliefs or lifestyles? (As in this famous case .)
Science Argumentative Essay Topics
- Should the world eliminate nuclear weapons?
- Should scientists bring back extinct animals?
- Should we hold companies fiscally responsible for their carbon footprint?
- Should we ban pesticides in favor of organic farming methods?
- Is it ethical to clone animals for scientific purposes?
- Should the federal government ban all fossil fuels, despite the potential economic impact on specific industries and communities?
- What renewable energy source should the U.S. invest more money in?
- Should the FDA outlaw GMOs?
- Would the world be safe if we got rid of all nuclear weapons?
- Should we worry about artificial intelligence surpassing human intelligence?
Sports Argument Essay Topics
- Should colleges compensate student-athletes?
- How should sports teams and leagues address the gender pay gap?
- Should youth sports teams do away with scorekeeping?
- Should we ban aggressive contact sports like boxing and MMA?
- Should professional sports associations mandate that athletes stand during the national anthem?
- Should high schools require their student-athletes to maintain a certain GPA?
- Should transgender athletes compete in sports according to their gender identity?
- Should schools ban football due to the inherent danger it poses to players?
Technology Argumentative Essay Topics
- Should sites like DALL-E compensate the artists whose work it was trained on?
- Is social media harmful to children?
- Should the federal government make human exploration of space a more significant priority?
- Is it ethical for the government to use surveillance technology to monitor citizens?
- Should websites require proof of age from their users?
- Should we consider A.I.-generated images and text pieces of art?
- Does the use of facial recognition technology violate individuals’ privacy?
Business Argument Essay Topics
- Should the U.S. government phase out the use of paper money in favor of a fully digital currency system?
- Should the federal government abolish its patent and copyright laws?
- Should we replace the Federal Reserve with free-market institutions?
- Is free-market ideology responsible for the U.S. economy’s poor performance over the past decade?
- Will cryptocurrencies overtake natural resources like gold and silver?
- Is capitalism the best economic system? What system would be better?
- Should the U.S. government enact a universal basic income?
- Should we require companies to provide paid parental leave to their employees?
- Should the government raise the minimum wage?
- Should antitrust regulators break up large companies to promote competition?
- Is it ethical for companies to prioritize profits over social responsibility?
- Should gig-economy workers like Uber and Lyft drivers be considered employees or independent contractors?
- Should the federal government regulate the gig economy to ensure fair treatment of workers?
- Should the government require companies to disclose the environmental impact of their products?
In Conclusion – Argument Essay Topics
Using the tips above, you can effectively structure and pen a compelling argumentative essay that will wow your instructor and classmates. Remember to craft a thesis statement that offers readers a roadmap through your essay, draw on your sources wisely to back up any claims, and read through your paper several times before it’s due to catch any last-minute proofreading errors. With time, diligence, and patience, your essay will be the most outstanding assignment you’ve ever turned in…until the next one rolls around.
Looking for more fresh and engaging topics for use in the classroom? Also check out our 85 Good Debate Topics for High School Students .
- High School Success
With a Bachelor of Arts in Creative Writing from Columbia University and an MFA in Fiction from the Michener Center for Writers at the University of Texas at Austin, Lauren has been a professional writer for over a decade. She is the author of the chapbook A Great Dark House (Poetry Society of America, 2023) and a forthcoming novel (Viking/Penguin).
- 2-Year Colleges
- Application Strategies
- Big Picture
- Career & Personality Assessment
- College Essay
- College Search/Knowledge
- College Success
- Costs & Financial Aid
- Extracurricular Activities
- Graduate School Admissions
- High Schools
- Law School Admissions
- Medical School Admissions
- Navigating the Admissions Process
- Online Learning
- Summer Programs
“Innovative and invaluable…use this book as your college lifeline.”
— Lynn O'Shaughnessy
Nationally Recognized College Expert
College Planning in Your Inbox
Join our information-packed monthly newsletter.
Sign Up Now
Argumentative Essay Guide
Argumentative Essay Topics
Last updated on: Nov 20, 2023
Argumentative Essay Topics - Compelling Ideas to Get Started
By: Jared P.
18 min read
Reviewed By: Melisa C.
Published on: Oct 22, 2019
Are you about to write an argumentative essay but still confused about the topic?
Argumentative essays help students learn more about the subject matter of a particular course. This kind of writing is a genuine key to learning argumentative skills. You must pay attention to your subject while choosing a strong topic for your essay.
But what if you don’t even know what to write about?
Don’t worry! Here is a list of topics and tips to help you decide on the perfect topic for your argumentative paper.
So read on and make choosing a topic easier!
On this Page
Argumentative Essay Topics for students
Argumentative essay writing is one common academic assignment that almost every student will get to draft. In order to help the students, we have prepared a list of argumentative topic ideas. Pick a topic that works the best for you.
Argumentative Essay Topics for Middle School
- What age is suitable for kids to start schooling?
- Should students be allowed to evaluate their teachers?
- Metal music should be banned due to its violent lyrics.
- What are the pros and cons of making friends virtually?
- Can we conserve energy as a society?
- Does playing violent video games contribute to making a person violent in real life too?
- How close is reality TV to real life?
- Do girls face more societal pressure than guys?
- What is the biggest challenge faced by students today?
- Should there be cash rewards for getting a good score on standardized tests?
- The rich should pay more taxes than the poor.
- Cartoons are better than movies.
- Teachers Vs. Parents: who plays a bigger role in shaping a child?
Argumentative Essay Topics for Grade 6
Here are some argumentative essay topics for 6th-grade students:
- Should schools start later in the morning?
- Is confining wild animals within zoos a cruel practice?
- Should there be stricter laws for texting and driving?
- Are social media sites like Facebook and Twitter bad for our society?
- Should the voting age be lowered to allow young people a voice in democracy?
- Should the school year be longer or shorter?
- Is it okay for children to play violent video games?
- Should cell phones be banned from schools?
- Should recycling become a mandatory practice in all households?
Argumentative Essay Topics for 7th Graders
- Should schools provide free meals to all students?
- Are uniforms necessary for student success?
- Does standardized testing accurately measure student progress?
- Are after-school activities important for student development?
- Is there too much emphasis on social media in education today?
- Should schools place a stronger emphasis on physical education?
- Are required classes in high school helpful or harmful to students?
- Should all students have access to laptops and tablets in the classroom?
- Is technology taking away from traditional learning methods in the classroom?
- Should gym classes be mandatory for students?
Argumentative Essay Topics for Grade 8
Looking for argumentative essay topics for teenagers? Check out the ideas below:
- Should the drinking age be lowered? Should the death penalty be abolished?
- Is it necessary for governments to fund childcare?
- Is there too much emphasis on standardized testing in schools?
- Are schools doing enough to prevent bullying from happening?
- Do adolescents need more sleep than adults?
- Should students be allowed to have cell phones in school?
- Is social media affecting the way we interact with each other?
- What should be done about the student loan crisis?
Argumentative Essay Topics for High School
- Is homeschooling better than the public school educational system?
- Smartphones help the learning process.
- Is co-education more advantageous than single-sex education?
- Are GMOs safe for human consumption?
- Is fast food healthy or a serious threat to physical health?
- Teenagers feel more comfortable talking on social media rather than face to face.
- Should it be legal to get a tattoo for kids younger than 18?
- Are standardized tests beneficial for school students?
- A negative high school experience you believe is important when it comes to personality.
- Does the education system prepare a student for the real world?
- Is there life after death?
- Our society works on gender equality.
- Subjects that should be removed from the high school program.
- Is hate crime growing in high school?
Argumentative Essay Topics for College Students
- Is the current taxation system effective or not?
- Are men paid more than women in our corporate sector?
- Should Shakespeare still be studied as part of the college curriculum?
- Is college tuition becoming way too expensive?
- Are test scores the only way to judge the competency of a student?
- Getting a College degree is worth the cost.
- Is the system of the electoral college still viable in the US?
- Youngsters on social networks don’t realize the significance of privacy on these online sites.
- Life is incomplete without faith.
- Students nowadays face greater social pressures compared to the past.
- Your past does not define you.
- What can be done about gun control in the United States?
- Is it ethical to genetically modify children to protect against diseases?
- Do we need more gender diversity in STEM programs?
Paper Due? Why Suffer? That's our Job!
Argumentative Essay Topics for University Students
- Should mental health services be made available for free?
- Is income inequality a necessary part of capitalism?
- Should the minimum wage be raised in all countries?
- Does technology have a positive or negative impact on mental health?
- Should universities be allowed to charge students for taking classes?
- Is it necessary for governments to fund space exploration?
- Should religion be taught in public schools?
- Are animal experiments necessary for medical progress?
- Should young students join a political party to enhance the democratic process?
- Does free speech help promote extremism in society?
Argumentative Essay Topics for O Levels
- Should the government regulate the use of social media?
- Is the death penalty an effective way to prevent crime?
- Are online classes replacing traditional courses in schools?
- Do standardized tests accurately measure academic achievement?
- Should abortion be legalized in all countries?
- Do celebrity role models have a positive or negative influence on young people?
- Should school uniforms be mandatory in all schools?
- Should the Internet be censored by governments around the world?
- Should GMO foods be allowed in supermarkets?
- Does free trade help or harm developing economies?
Discover Captivating Topics in a Click!
Best Argumentative Essay Topics
Just as important as it is to create compelling content, choosing a great topic is equally important. If you want to score well in academics, you will have to impress your instructor with the best argumentative essay topics.
Below are some great topic ideas for you related to different fields. Choose the right topic for your essay and start the process.
Sports Argumentative Essay Topics
- Can video gamers be counted as true athletes?
- By participating in sports, can children be kept out of trouble?
- Should girls be allowed to participate in the same sports as boys?
- Should alternatives to steroids be legalized for professional athletes?
- Do you consider cheerleading a sport?
- Does your College spend a lot of money in the name of sports programs?
- Student-athletes should get money for playing.
- Betting on sports should be illegal.
- Sports events shouldn’t broadcast alcohol and tobacco ads.
- Are female athletes looked upon as sexual objects by the media?
- All athletes should be tested for drugs before their performance.
- Females should not be allowed to take part in extreme sports.
- Impact of bodybuilding on a woman’s body in old age.
Argumentative Essay Topics Education
- Parents should have an active role in their child's education.
- The grading system shouldn’t exist to judge a student’s abilities.
- Standardized tests should be abolished in schools.
- All students must wear a uniform in high school.
- Does technology benefit the educational system?
- Studying in a single-sex class is better than studying in a mixed one?
- All students must be made to learn a foreign language?
- Programming should be made compulsory for all students.
- Should students have sex education classes at school?
- Should schools have the right to test students for drugs?
- Girls should be equally encouraged to take part in sports in school.
- The world should have a uniform language.
- Hard work isn’t enough for being successful in a student’s life.
- Should teachers be allowed to physically discipline their students?
- How to bring change in the education system of the United States?
Social Media Argumentative Essay Topics
- Are social networks an effective platform for communication?
- Do people really get a job through LinkedIn?
- Is Facebook legally allowed to leak the private information of its users?
- Is it possible to earn a good amount of money from YouTube?
- Should Facebook, WhatsApp, and Twitter be banned permanently?
- Social media has successfully increased employment rates.
- Celebrity endorsements are unethical.
- Social media has destroyed real-life communication.
- Social media has made doing business easier.
- Blogging is an irrelevant profession.
- How is social media depicting beauty standards?
- How has social media become a major source of inferiority complex among teenagers?
- Is it possible to have a life without social media at this time?
- Should underaged children be allowed to own social media accounts?
- Pros and cons of social media.
Argumentative Essay Topics Technology
- Are cell phones harmful to the human race?
- Are spy applications invading the privacy of users?
- Are Millennials more dependent on computers than Baby Boomers?
- Is Typescript the future of front-end development?
- The impact of microwave tech on our biology.Technology has made us lazier.
- Should coding be taught from middle school?
- Cognitive Computers like Watson are unethical.
- Should a candidate’s social media profiles be considered in the hiring process?
- Children shouldn’t be given personal mobile phones.
- Self-driving cars and the future of transportation.
- Has technology made people less efficient?
- Technological advancements in the field of psychology.
- Is the future in the hands of Artificial Intelligence?
- Pros and cons of depending a lot on technology.
American History Argumentative Essay Topics
- What was the impact of European colonization on Native Americans?
- What was the role of women in the movement toward revolution?
- What were the key causes of the American Revolution?
- The key issues that caused conflict between North and South and led to the civil war?
- The effects of the Great Depression on the banking industry in America.
- Did the Civil Rights Movement reduce or lead to racial violence?
- Post World War II, how did America grow?
- 21st-century American foreign policy.
- Is Barack Obama the first American president who made history?
- Was slavery an inevitable part of the development of American society?
- Should the Indian Removal Act be considered an act of genocide?
Mental Health Argumentative Essay Topics
- Are antidepressants overprescribed in modern society?
- Should mental health services be made free for all?
- Is social media affecting mental health negatively?
- Is there a stigma attached to seeking out mental health help?
- What role do genetics and environment play in determining mental illness?
- Can art and music therapy be effective treatments for mental illness?
- How can we tackle the stigma associated with mental illness?
- What can be done to reduce the prevalence of anxiety in young people?
- Should there be mandatory mental health education in schools?
Social Issues Argumentative Topics
- Should male workers receive paternity leave too?
- Is age a major factor in relationship success or failure?
- Is torture acceptable under any circumstance?
- What are the primary causes of down syndrome?
- What should the punishments be for failed parenting?
- A candidate’s appearance shouldn’t be considered in a job hiring process.
- Some common stereotypes in your society.
- Cheating is increasing every day.
- We are way too dependent on computers and technology.
- Is boredom the cause of getting into trouble?
- Beauty magazines should stop photoshopping models.
- Capitalism vs. socialism. What would benefit society more?
- Is the women’s rights movement justified?
- The real objectives of Feminism.
- Impact of homosexuality on society.
Argumentative Essay Topics Animals
- Hunting for fun and sports is unethical and must get banned.
- Aggressive dog breeds such as pit bulls should not be allowed as pets.
- Testing beauty products on animals is justifiable.
- Using monkeys for research in labs is a necessary evil.
- Wearing fur and leather shouldn’t be unethical.
- Is genetic modification of livestock beneficial?
- Animal dissection in medical school is a good way to learn.
- Owning pets reduces the risk of getting diseases. Do you agree?
- Emotional support animals can truly help lonely people.
- Keeping exotic animals as pets is inhumane.
- Stronger laws must be enforced against animal cruelty.
- Pros and cons of animal testing.
- How can the emotional support of animals help in treating mental problems?
- Significance of microchipping the pets.
- Rights enjoyed by the ESA owners.
Argumentative Research Paper Topics
- Ways to decrease childcare costs in the United States.
- Are literate people better parents?
- Challenges faced by female politicians.
- Is rehab effective for sex offenders?
- Is music a form of real art?
- Spanish is a simple language to learn.
- Schools should ban vending machines on-campus.
- Are teachers to blame when a student performs poorly?
- Are gender stereotypes encouraged by parents?
- Illegal immigrants and terrorism: is it related?
- Can imposing a tax on sugar help fight obesity.
- Should age be a factor in relationships?
- Do dreams have a symbolic meaning?
- Should South and North Korea become one?
- Can depression be cured using natural ways?
Unique Argumentative Essay Topics
Looking for some general argumentative essay topic ideas? Here is an ultimate list of great topics that can make your essay writing fun for you and your readers.
Controversial Argumentative Essay Topics
- Should same-sex marriage be legal in all 50 states within the United States of America?
- Is the feminist movement ruining the minds of young girls?
- Corruption and its effects on increasing wages.
- Hunting should be banned globally. Do you agree?
- Which is more beneficial for society, Communism or Capitalism?
- Should human cloning be allowed or not?
- Abortion – A pro-life or a pro-choice?
- Do anti-discrimination laws reinforce discrimination?
- Should patients be entitled to request medically-assisted suicide in cases of terminal illness?
- Can beauty standards be more inclusive?
- Workplace dating should not be allowed, and here’s why.
- Displaced immigrants and refugees should be given shelter by every country.
- Is vegan or vegetarian life good for health?
- Online dating has ruined the essence of old-school romance.
- Chocolate can help improve our bad mood.
- Is it ethical to eat meat?
- Mothers make better parents naturally.
- Politics can never be clean and fair.
- Should the drinking age be lowered?
Easy Argumentative Essay Topics
- Are girls more intelligent than boys?
- Parents of middle schoolers should control their internet.
- Was Johnny Depp the best choice for Burton’s Ed Wood?
- Do religious movements cause the outbreak of war?
- Are human beings the major source of global climate change?
- Is it ethical to have kids perform chores?
- Is using LEDs making a difference?
- How does being a vegan help the environment?
- Should teenage marriages be allowed?
- Social media has brought families closer. Is there any truth to this statement?
- If the House of Lords had veto power over the House of Commons, Britain would’ve been better off.
- It’s okay to date multiple people at the same time.
- HIV is falsely associated with homosexuals. Why?
- Why are the laws neglecting tobacco and alcohol?
- Most of the modern-time artists are one-hit wonders.
Fun Argumentative Essay Topics
- Is panda hugging a viable career option?
- Does Justin Bieber owe his success to negative PR?
- Is it true that a way to a man’s heart is through his stomach?
- Is the Bermuda Triangle a real thing?
- Is it okay for parents to lie to their children about Santa Claus?
- Did the feminist movement ever help you?
- How did the feminist movement ever help you?
- There is no such thing as organic food.
- How to make your roommate believe that moving out is the best option.
- Why should I join a different family?
- Fans should not judge players after losses or failures.
- Is social promotion a helpful practice?
- Is racism a natural condition of human society?
- Dieting must not be practiced by schoolers.
- Should tattoos be perceived as a social deviation?
Tough Essay Due? Hire Tough Writers!
Argumentative Essay Topics 2022
- Are US elections always fair?
- Is the death penalty an effective punishment for criminals?
- Is it wise to replace soldiers with machines and artificial intelligence on battlefields?
- Should animals be used for performing experiments?
- Effects of terrorism on the foreign policy of the United States of America's cosmetic surgery worth the risks?
- What is your point of view on a terminally ill person having the right to assisted suicide?
- Life 100 years ago was much easier than it is today.
- Is religion a factor that contributes to war?
- A woman who doesn’t have enough resources to raise a child to be allowed to abort?
- Physical activities are the most convenient way to relax.
- The best way to enhance education is to decrease the number of classes.
- Sports classes should become mandatory for everybody.
- The pros and cons of using gadgets for studying purposes.
- What is the most important socio-political movement of the modern era?
Argumentative Essay Topics 2023
The following are some amazing topics for argumentative essays. Have a look at them to get a better idea.
- Fast food is responsible for childhood obesity in the US.
- Is the United States ready for a female president?
- Parents need to be very friendly with their kids.
- Are smartphones harmful to our health?
- Education needs to be free for all.
- Is single-sex education still a good idea in 2020?
- Should all people pursue a university degree worldwide?
- Internet access must be unlimited and free.
- Modern education has to eliminate grading systems.
- Capitalism should acquire more socially significant policies.
- Tourist tax is mandatory to save cultural heritage.
- Kindergartens must introduce foreign language instruction.
- Is hunting good for environmental well-being?
- Using animals for research must be banned.
- Women perform better than men in official positions and occupations.
Choosing a Good Argumentative Essay Topic
So you know the importance of choosing the right topic when writing an argumentative essay.
But what are you going to write about?
You sure don’t want to pick an argumentative essay topic that everyone else is working on. And you don’t want to research an argumentative topic where information and data are impossible to find.
You hopefully want to write on a debatable topic that will interest both you and your reader. Here are the criteria we use to choose a topic for argumentative essays:
- It has to be interesting to the writer. You’ll be outlining, researching, and writing in-depth, so pick an engaging topic for your argument.
- Have some information to begin with. The more familiar you are with the subject area, the easier it will be for both you and the reader.
- The best argumentative essay topics are mostly controversial. If there’s no conflict and everyone agrees on everything, it won’t qualify as an argumentative essay.
- An arguable thesis statement can be created according to the topic.
What Makes a Good Argumentative Essay?
A good argumentative essay is one that presents a well-reasoned and logical argument. It should be supported by facts and evidence, not just speculation or opinion. To create an effective argumentative essay, the writer must provide a strong case for their position on any given topic.
Strong Introduction and Thesis
The first element of a good argumentative essay is an interesting and clear introduction. This should introduce the topic in a way that engages readers and makes them want to learn more.
It should also provide an overview of the writer's position on the issue, as well as any evidence they will be using to support their argument.
Good Research and Evidence
Good argumentation requires good evidence. So a good argumentative essay should be backed up by research and evidence.
If a writer is making an assertion, they must provide evidence to back it up. This could include physical evidence such as statistics or quotes from experts in the field, as well as logical arguments that support their position.
The structure of an argumentative essay is also important. It should be structured in a way that makes it easy to follow and understand.
This could include using headings, subheadings, and bullet points to break up the text into more manageable pieces. In addition, it should have a clear flow of ideas, with each paragraph logically leading to the next.
Finally, a good argumentative essay should have an effective conclusion. This should provide a summary of the writer's main points and reiterate their position on the issue. The conclusion should also leave readers with something to think about, leaving them informed and with new insight.
After reading our list, don’t be surprised if your mind starts coming up with additional topics for an argumentative essay. We recommend that you keep a notebook or journal handy to record these topic ideas for later.
These were some of the most interesting essay topics . Did you find a topic to write on?
Now, before you overwhelm yourself by jumping straight to the writing process, we have a helpful tip for you. Go through this detailed article to learn how to craft an argumentative essay effectively.
Seeking help from professionals is nothing to be ashamed of, especially when your grades are at stake. It is quite common for some students not to have a knack for writing. Also, some might not have the time to complete assignments.
If you can relate to such students, you should consider taking help from a reliable essay writing service such as 5StarEssays.com . You can simply request ‘ write my essay '. And we will have an expert essay writer to provide you with high-quality assignments regardless of type and field.
Or, use our AI Essay Generator , for AI powered writing help to guide your way!
Masters Essay, Literature
Jared P. is a renowned author and writing service provider with over fifteen years of experience in the publishing industry. He has a Ph.D. degree in English Literature and has spent his entire career helping students achieve their academic goals by providing expert writing assistance.
Was This Blog Helpful?
- Learn How to Write an Argumentative Essay
- How to Create a Strong Argumentative Essay Outline?
- Informative Argumentative Essay Examples by Experts
- Know About Types of Argument with the Help of Examples
People Also Read
- rhetorical analysis essay example
- personal statement prompts
- informative essay writing
- how to cite a research paper
- how to title an essay
Burdened With Assignments?
© 2023 - All rights reserved
- Homework Services: Essay Topics Generator
2000+ SATISFIED STUDENTS
95% Satisfaction RATE
30 Days Money-back GUARANTEE
95% Success RATE
© 2023 5StarEssays.com. All rights reserved.
LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
- LOG IN Processing...
SIGN UP TO YOUR ACCOUNT
- Your phone no.
- Password Password must be minimum 8 characters.
- Confirm Password
- SIGN UP Processing...
- SEND PASSWORD
- Plagiarism checker Do The Check
- Academic editing Ask For Help
- Samples database View Samples Base
Good Argumentative Essay Topics For College Students
02 May 2023
❓What Is an Argumentative Essay?
✅Best Argumentative Essay Tips
Argumentative Essay Topics:
- 🧩Society & Culture
- 👨👩👧👦Family Relations
- 📱Social Media
✍️What to Write in & How to Format Conclusion?
How To Effectively Choose Argumentative Essay Topics?
The unique argumentative essay topics can spark readers' interest and provide ample room for persuasion. This is because argumentative essays turn theories into facts and give a valid argument based on evidence.
They show that the writer has spent a considerable amount of time developing the argument position. People experienced in writing these essays often develop their own rules to follow.
In the end, readers form their own opinions or arguments. These essays can help students understand different subjects with research.
The validity relies heavily on the material. Hence, simple issues need a much more straightforward approach. Nevertheless, you're dealing with a more controversial topic. You have to use many resources to back up your argument and claims.
This brief guide will discuss an argumentative essay and share some important tips for writing such essays effectively. At Papers Owl , we understand the importance of compiling a compelling argumentative essay, so we are here to provide you with some useful advice. We will also share a host of different topics you can write about with us to create a compelling essay easily. Let's begin with our discussion and get started on creating a great argumentative essay.
Is writing essays your hobby?
Participate in our "Independence Day of the United States" essay writing competition and get a 12-month Quizlet subscription.
- Deadline: July 24, 2023
- Topic: Declaration of Independence
- Language: English
- Length: 1000-5000 words
- Font size: 11 or 12
What Is an Argumentative Essay?
An essay is a kind of academic paper that can introduce different claims regarding both sides of a particular topic. Both sides can balance one if they can dominate. In contrast, the tone of the content will be based on the writer's authority on that particular subject.
The objective here is to convince the readers to change their opinion if they have a different one than the writers. So, you can always hire an argumentative essay writing service .
Now, there are three different models that you can follow when writing these argumentative essays.
- Toulmin model This essay will contain an introduction featuring the thesis statement followed by the background info fully backed up with evidence from different resources. The essay writer has to list the reasons for supporting the main argument and rebuttals.
- Rogerian model This argumentative essay model has to weigh both sides of the topic and list down the pros and cons of each. Then, it provides some advice after evaluating each side and in-depth assessment.
- Classical model In this model, the writer has to introduce a topic and provide a personal solution. It is to be done with your persuasive writing to inform readers that this solution is the best. The objective is to make the readers think and spark inspiration about the topic.
Best Argumentative Essay Tips
How to pick a good topic for your argumentative essay is critical. It might seem that finding the best topic for the essay is something like finding a needle in a haystack, but that is not the case. You can easily choose the right topic for your essay . However, you have to make an outline based on credible sources and follow some core principles. You also can buy an argumentative essay of your choice on any topic.
Most controversial topics here are highly prone to prejudice. And in most cases, they have some unconscious aim to prove some pre-assumed facts.
So, when writing an essay, it is always critical to truly understand both sides of a topic. The best way is to pick a basic and neutral topic to which the writer has an indifferent opinion. For extra help, one can consult an academic advisor or get online essay assistance for guidance and support.
9 Helpful Tips for Choosing an Argumentative Topic
Here you can find plenty of argumentative essay tips that you can follow while choosing easy argumentative essay topics that you want to discuss in your writing:
- First, you must think about the subject matter that interests you. You need to have in-depth knowledge about the topic and whether you can develop an opinion about the topic.
- Consider your experience and consider how well you know a particular topic. You can always present your personal touch to the readers in your essay.
- You need to follow any recent trends regarding the topic. Type some keywords associated with your unique argumentative essay title in Google Trends and see what frequently discussed issues related to your topic.
- Make sure to avoid any themes with a more general or broader perspective. It is important because you have to stay on topic while writing, as it can be pretty easy to discuss some off-topic points. But it generally depends on how lengthy you want your essay to be.
- You can check your primary and secondary resources related to the topic. You can search the internet and see if you can get around enough authentic resources for your essay.
- And stay away from emotionally driven topics because argumentative writing is about staying sober and calm with the judgments.
- Don't forget about your target audience. Will they accept your opinion, or will your essay spark another debate?
- Make sure to find a fun topic, brainstorm, and finalize your list of ideas. You can discuss the list of final topics with your mentors and choose the argument that the majority will vote for.
- Choosing a debatable subject can be risky, but it will work best if you can prove your authority on it with related articles and homework.
Argumentative Essay Topics About Society & Culture
One of the best subjects for your argumentative writing is society and culture. Most people spend their lives based on their moral code. It can be based on individual interests, philosophy, religion, experiences, etc. But everyone has a moral value.
Here is a list of unique argumentative essay topics for college that you can choose based on the subject of society and culture.
- Racial Discrimination: Analyzing Ethnicity and Racism
- Career Path
- Age Limit to Teen Driving
- Discrimination against the LGBTQ Community
- Healthcare - Is it a fundamental human right?
- Television programmers must produce popular family-friendly content as an obligation; should any explicit content be censored?
- Social media has the power to get us together and can pull us apart; do the pros outweigh the cons, or is it the other way around?
- Gap years - Are they a precious time to explore and reflect, or are they a vacation period to get some good rest from the hectic life?
- Some states are decriminalizing marijuana and some other drugs; is it a good decision?
- Equality for all is essential to lawmaking, but is it a part of practice?
- The US Gun Law - The right to self-defense and the right to be exploited.
- Terminal illness - Can someone request medically-assisted suicide?
- Smoking - Should it be banned entirely?
- Best ways to encourage productive conversions on contentious issues.
Stuck with finding the right title?
Get plenty of fresh and catchy topic ideas and pick the perfect one with PapersOwl Title Generator.
Great Argumentative Essay Topics About History
If you enjoy studying history, there are tons of different history argumentative essay topics that you can write on. Here are a few to get you started.
- The Civil War is Central
- Olaudah Equiano’s Argument against Slavery was his Life Experience
- Does the Civil Rights Movement have an Effect on the Way Minorities are Treated by Authorities?
- One of the most Important Events
- Julius Caesar in History
- "You should learn from the past" - Sometimes there are home patterns in history; do you think history does repeat itself?
- Did the US Civil War get the country together or pull it apart?
- Thomas Jefferson did make some significant contributions to the founding of the US, but he didn't live a perfect life - Was he a hero?
- Do our modern perspectives and opinions alter the truth of what went down during the significant historical event?
- Did immigrants and other lower socio-economic groups and classes have opportunities in the US during that period (choose the past decade for the topic)?
- World War I & The US - The US was reluctant to join, and when they died, many US soldiers lost their lives - Was it a necessary war for us?
- Native Americans & Their Treatment - How does it leave a moral stain on the US?
- Slavery was fundamental for American colonies and the US; later on - How did this injustice alter the country?
- Reasons behind the rise of Naziism in Germany & The Holocaust - How can these horrors avoid in the future?
- The European plague & the decimation of the continent's population - How did it alter history, and what was its greatest impact?
Argumentative Essay Topics About Family Relations
Here are some interesting argumentative topics associated with the subject of family relations.
- The Impact of Divorce on Children
- Traditional Gender Roles in the Family
- Same-Sex Parenting
- The Role of Extended Family in Child Development
- Discussing the Challenges and Resolution Strategies for Conflicts
- Should mothers stay at home with their children for their best upbringing?
- Do distance relationships work?
- How can bullying and divorce be prevented?
- Can kids recover from the divorce of their parents?
- Is teenage marriage a good idea?
- Should a pregnant teenager keep the baby?
- Domestic violence and teenagers.
- House chores and their distribution in the family.
- Should family members do sports together?
- Are mature and older people better parents?
Argumentative Essay Topics About Education
The following list will give you a good start to writing an argumentative education essay.
- Creativity is a Skill that is Absolutely Necessary for Education
- About Ways of Improving our Education System in its Entirety
- Advantages of Digital Textbooks
- Equality and Segregation in the Los Angeles School District
- Should parents actively participate in child education?
- Grading systems shouldn't be used for judging any student's abilities.
- Should students wear a uniform while attending high school?
- The role of technology in the educational system.
- Should programming be compulsory for all students?
- Pros & cons of studying in a single-sex class vs. mixed one.
- Should all students learn a foreign language?
- Should students be allowed sex education at school?
- Girls should be given an equal opportunity to participate in school sports.
- Should schools possess the right to drug test their students?
Build your thesis statement
This is AI-powered online tool that lets you create a thesis statement about any topic you need.
- Simple interface
- Works with any type of paper
- Absolutely free
- Unlimited attempts
Technology Argumentative Essay Topics
Here are some technology argumentative essay topics for your argumentative writing.
- Artificial Intelligence and Job Automation
- The Influence of Technology on Education
- Online Privacy and Data Security
- Virtual Reality and Its Impact on Society
- Smartphones - A blessing or a menace?
- Has technology facilitated us or made us lazier?
- Do Millennials overly depend on computers compared to Baby Boomers?
- Should students learn coding from middle school?
- Is Watson the Cognitive Computer and the like unethical?
- Microwave tech - How does it facilitate our lives, and how does it impact our biology?
- Should the candidates' social media profiles also be considered during the hiring process?
- Should children have their mobile phones?
- Self-driving cars - A blessing or a curse in the future of transportation?
- Is our future in the hands of AI?
Interesting Argumentative Essay Topics About Social Media
These are some interesting argumentative essay topics that you can use to write on the subject of social media:
- Influence of Social Media on Youth
- Examining the Impact of Social Media Use on Psychological Well-being
- Fake News and Disinformation on Social Media
- Assessing the Role and Influence of Influencers in Shaping Consumer Behavior
- Social Media and Political Manipulation
- Does LinkedIn help people in landing a job?
- How much money can you earn from YouTube?
- Is buying different types of social media engagement ethical?
- Celebrity endorsements - are they unethical?
- Has social media devastated real-life communication?
- Has social media made doing business easier?
- Blogging is not a profession, or is it?
- Social media and how it depicts beauty standards?
- Social media and the inferiority complex among teenagers?
- Can we imagine a life without social media now?
Creative Argumentative Essay Topics About Art
Here is a list of creative argumentative essay topics on art.
- Disney World Accommodation Tips Tricks
- The Renaissance Period during the 1400 Century in Florence Italy
- Race and Public Art
- Disney’s Acquisition of Marvel
- The Value of Street Art
- Is music a real art?
- Most of the artists of modern times are 1-hit wonders.
- Should schools need to have art courses?
- Is graffiti a kind of art?
- Should Banksy be considered an artist?
- Is it okay to display art in public places?
- Should modern art be considered timeless?
- Should society support aspiring artists?
- How important is arts education?
- Can commercials be considered good works of art?
Argumentative Essay Topics About Politics
Some of the best political science argumentative essay topics for argumentative writing on politics are as follows.
- Isolationism in the United States
- Should the US Constitution be Amended to State that Corporations are not Persons?
- The Role of Money in Politics
- Electoral College vs. Popular Vote
- The Role of Media in Politics
- Political leaders and their moral obligations.
- Which US political party has the right ideology? (the country can be changed).
- Income inequality - what can be done to reduce it?
- The Current US Deficit - Is paying it down the essential matter of modern times?
- Does printing more money create an unsustainable bubble?
- Pros and cons of capitalism.
- Pros and cons of socialism.
- Is the US ready for a female president?
- What modern political decision has been the most significant social-economic catalyst?
- Does campaign finance reform work?
Need help with writing an essay?
Get your paper written by a professional writer
Argumentative Essay Topics About Economics
Following is the list of some best real-life argumentative essay topics.
- Arguments Arise when Discussing International Trade
- Recycling should be Mandatory
- Divergent Marxism
- Government Intervention in the Economy
- Universal Basic Income
- Is free trade beneficial for developing countries?
- Is it economically justified to set a minimum wage?
- Economic sanctions on other countries, and how do they benefit local companies?
- Pros and cons of immigration and the country's economy.
- Social benefits and their true efficacy in poverty eradication.
- Should the prices of necessities be regulated?
- The impact of high obesity rates on the national economy.
- Should the unemployed people be financed for their own businesses?
- Market regulation in the 21st Century.
- Does climate change positively impact an economy?
10 Argumentative Essay Topics About Health
Following are some healthcare argumentative essays topics for high school students.
- Abortion: Exploring Both Sides of the Debate
- The Arguments against Euthanasia
- Drug Abuse – Destructive Pattern
- Arguments for Legalizing Euthanasia
- Children Vaccination
- Should females over 40 be eligible to receive IVF treatment?
- Is there a link between child obesity and processed foods?
- Is there a connection between fashion and teenage girl anorexia?
- Are low-carb diets healthy?
- Is stress related to cancer in any way?
- Vegetarianism - Is it healthy?
- Can type-2 diabetes be cured with lifestyle changes?
- Can increasing the prices of unhealthy foods helps in reducing obesity?
- If smoking is unhealthy, why is it still legal?
- How effective is Intrinsic motivation in addiction treatment?
What to Write in the Conclusion & How to Format It?
How to end an argumentative essay is equally important as choosing evidence-based argumentative essay topics. And it's your tone that is the most critical aspect of this section of your essay.
You need to speak with authority and bring out your most compelling points from the authority you have gathered.
Give your readers something to think about and form their own opinions. And in the end, you can give your call to action by implementing or correcting a current trend.
Your Take Away
There are many topics for argumentative essays on different subjects. But no matter what you do, you have to present your views in favor and opposition to the topic. Otherwise, your argumentative essay will lose its true essence.
Writing with your personal authority on a topic makes you an expert. Still, you can do some research to identify plenty of authentic platforms in favor and opposition of the topic to write on the best argumentative essay topics. By assessing these resources, you can present your views and opinions. Writing an essay can be daunting, especially when you have a lot of other obligations on your plate. It can be time-consuming and overwhelming, especially if you don't have the necessary skills or knowledge. Fortunately, there are now services available online that allow you to pay for your essay . With these services, you can be sure that your essay will be of the highest quality, and you can focus on other tasks without feeling overwhelmed.
Was this article helpful?
Thanks for your feedback.
Dr. Karlyna PhD
I am a proficient writer from the United States with over five years of experience in academic writing. I comfortably complete given assignments within stipulated deadlines and at the same time deliver high-quality work, which follows the guidelines provided.
Readers also enjoyed
Legal essay topics for student.
Essay Writing Guides 22 likes
Science Essay Topics for Students
Essay Writing Guides 3 likes
Explanatory Essay Topics for Students
Essay Writing Guides 8 likes
WHY WAIT? PLACE AN ORDER RIGHT NOW!
Simply fill out the form, click the button, and have no worries!
List of Argumentative Research Paper Topics
Writing argumentative essays is one of the most complex assignments high school and college students have to encounter during their education path. It requires a lot of time and effort to come up with a clear thesis, work on the paragraphs to support an idea, provide counterarguments, and finally, deal with a persuasive conclusion. Besides, all of these steps require profound research and a smooth presentation of your case without biases.
Perhaps the most challenging part of writing such papers is simply getting started and coming up with a nice topic in the first place. How do you choose your title and get set on a topic? How do you decide whether to take on socio-political or technological themes?
We’re here to help you out. With StudyClerk’s college paper services , you’ll receive all the research and writing assistance you need.
Let’s get into the meaning and structure of argumentative/persuasive papers. Then, we’ll check out some of the best argumentative paper ideas for any high school or college course.
What Is an Argumentative Research Paper?
Before you start thinking about potential topics for argument research papers, you need to familiarize yourself with this type of essay.
Persuasive writing isn’t the same as writing descriptive or narrative texts, where you have complete freedom of expression and can leave open-ended conclusions. Argumentative papers are more formal and scientific, regardless of the topic you choose.
Your main task in argumentative papers is to present a claim, point of view, or belief, then support and defend it with logical arguments and evidence. You have to stand by your statements and make a specific point with a clear conclusion, leaving virtually nothing to the reader’s imagination.
Since this can often be easier said than done, you can have StudyClerk’s experts write research papers for money and help you out. Our writers have experience in creating the most powerful research argumentative topics, so they will easily come up with the best suited for your class.
The Argumentative Research Paper Structure
Since they’re so unique, argumentative papers need to follow a specific structure. Most commonly, you’ll need to have:
- An introduction . Consisting of a few short paragraphs explaining your thesis statement and preparing the reader for the further points you’ll discuss;
- Background information (optional) . Background information can be incorporated into the introduction, but you’ll need a specific section if it’s a more complicated topic. You can use this part to explain the key theories relative to your argumentative research paper topics, define the most important terms, and summarize the main studies done on the topic so far;
- Supporting evidence . Every argumentative paper will need at least two or three separate paragraphs with their own thesis statements that provide unique pieces of evidence in support of your topic. Every single argument or evidence should have its own section, full explanation, and conclusion;
- Counterargument . To make your essay more convincing and reasonable, you’ll need at least one counterargument that allows you to address potential reader objections. Your task is to refute the counterargument and reassert the claims you’ve made so far;
- Conclusion. Summarize your arguments and explain why the reader should care about the topic you’ve discussed.
StudyClerk’s cheap research paper writers will ensure that your argumentative essay follows this unique structure and drives home your main point. They’ll make your essay convincing and logical.
How to Choose Argumentative Research Paper Topics
When searching for the possible topics for your argumentative research, you’ll want to choose those that you’re most passionate about. Your task is to convince your readers that your arguments are valid, and you won’t be able to do that if you don’t strongly believe them yourself.
Go for easy research paper topics that promote discussions and fire up the audiences, but make sure that you can find facts and studies to support your claims.
Argumentative Paper Ideas
If you’re struggling with finding argumentative research topics that spark your imagination and make you feel excited, don’t worry. You just need some hint.
Take a look at our top topic ideas to get inspired and narrow down on your choices.
Interesting argumentative research paper topics
- Do violent video games make children more violent?
- Is the gender pay gap real?
- The pink tax decreases women’s purchasing power
- Is losing privacy at the cost of security worth it?
- Are e-sport players athletes?
- Should professional athletes be paid less?
- Technological advancements are making us lazier
- Renting vs. owning a home – which makes more financial sense?
- Animal testing should be prohibited
- Big Pharma is operating against the well-being of people
- Will automation negatively impact the workforce?
- Why we should introduce 4-day workweeks
- Should we extend parental leave?
- Remote work will become the norm
- The problems of internet censorship
Debatable topics for research paper
- Should euthanasia be legalized?
- Is the death penalty true justice?
- How increasing the minimum wage impacts the economy
- Why unpaid internships should be banned
- Is the cancel culture toxic, or is it justified?
- Universal healthcare is a basic human right
- Pro-choice vs. pro-life – who’s in the right?
- Confirmation bias on social media cannot be avoided
- Is true gender equality possible?
- Should the elderly be allowed to vote?
Easy argumentative research paper topics
- Is marriage outdated?
- How online dating ruined romance
- Should both parents receive parental leave?
- Young adults are too dependent on technology
- Should the age restriction on alcohol use be lowered?
- Tobacco products should be illegal
- Why schools need to improve sex-ed
- Children pageants should be banned
- Is monogamy natural?
- Is religion outdated?
Argumentative research paper topics for college students
- Student debt should be abolished
- The impact of standardized testing on student performance
- Students today are dealing with higher stress levels than ever before
- How the two-party system is killing democracy
- Should we increase taxes for the top 1%?
- Why the government needs to decrease military spending
- How social media affects anxiety and feelings of isolation
- Has the COVID-19 pandemic revealed lapses in the educational system?
- Is online education a high-quality alternative to traditional education?
- The trend of fast fashion is damaging our environment
- Can gun control laws prevent school shootings?
- The role of social media in modern education
- The importance of making college accessible to students with special needs
- Private vs. public schools – the different quality of education
- What other countries can learn from Finland’s education system
Good argumentative research paper topics
- Internet access should be a basic human right
- How important is art education?
- Artists are essential workers
- Every country should adopt universal basic income
- Are high college tuition costs justified?
- Cyberbullying should have legal consequences
- Should employers monitor your private social media activity?
- What criteria should colleges use for awarding scholarships?
- Is it necessary to get a college degree?
- Is the law truly blind?
Other argumentative research paper topics
- Are participation trophies celebrating mediocrity?
- Do gun-free zones really reduce gun violence?
- Should same-sex couples adopt children?
- Does forcing kids to do household chores build their work ethic?
- Is declawing pet cats ethical?
- Should you spay/neuter your pets?
- Cultural appropriation vs. cultural appreciation
- Lack of education is the leading cause of poverty
- Overpopulation is a more serious problem than global warming
- Vaccination should be mandatory
- Pandemics are a more serious threat than nuclear warfare
- Relying only on sustainable energy is impossible
- Bitcoin mining causes environmental problems
- Smart technology is lowering our intelligence
- Nature vs. nurture – which is more important in shaping your future?
It takes some trial and error to truly master writing argumentative research papers, but it’s always an exciting exercise that can help you improve your debate skills. If all else fails, you can always rely on StudyClerk for help with topics for argument research papers.
Create an account and order your papers online with ease.
Order your paper now!
- 100+ Best Science Topics for Research Papers
- Cultural Research Paper Topics
- Entrepreneurship Research Paper Topics
- 100+ Best Religion Research Paper Topics in 2023
- 110 Unique Tranding Fashion Research Paper Topics and Ideas
150 Argumentative Research Paper Topics [2023 Upd.]
Argumentative research paper topics are a lot easier to find than to come up with. We always try to make your life easier. That’s why you should feel free to check out this list of the hottest and most controversial argumentative essay topics for 2023. In the article prepared by custom writing experts, you’ll find unique ideas for college, high school, and middle school. You might want to take your favorite topic as it is, or use it as an example and formulate one by yourself. Another option would be to tale the main keywords and try them on a research paper topic generator in order to get more choices.
Our specialists will write a custom essay on any topic for 13.00 10.40/page
OK, let’s cut to the chase, and continue with our suggested argumentative topics for 2023!
🔝 Top 10 Argumentative Research Paper Topics
- ⭐ Top 10 Argumentative Essay Topics
- 📱 Topics on Social Media
- 👪 Topics on Family
- 👨⚕️ Topics on Health and Nutrition
- 🗳️ Topics on Government
- 💡 Other Topic Ideas
- 🕵️♂️ Choosing a Topic
- 🧱 Writing Rules
- 📑 Organizing Your Paper
- The benefits of GMOs
- Is online dating dangerous?
- Ways to reduce college tuitions
- Should school athletes get paid?
- Alternatives to the death penalty
- Why is passive smoking dangerous?
- How can we regulate YouTube content?
- Should junk food advertisements be banned?
- Should parents answer for children’s misbehavior?
- How do wildfires contribute to global warming?
⭐ Top 10 Argumentative Essay Topics 2023
📱 argumentative research paper topics on social media.
- Hiding identities online: should it be allowed? Anonymous surveys are not an unusual thing anymore. However, people can leave pretty offensive comments without naming themselves. It all leads to them feeling invincible. Should this function be removed for the sake of equality and justice?
- Will GIFs become a new way of communication? People are getting more used to exchanging emoji and GIFs as a reaction to something. But is it a good idea? Can it affect our behavior patterns and the way we express our emotions in real life?
- Online shaming and bullying : where is the limit? Since practically anyone can be active online these days, shaming has become an enormous problem. No one watches it, and only turning off the comment option is a way out. But other than that, who is in control of the unstopping flow of abusive comments?
- Punctuation and spelling mistakes in texting. We all know someone who goes crazy when they see the slightest mistake in the text message. They may get pretty annoying, that’s true. But does it really matter? Or should we take it easy on spelling mistakes in the text messages?
- Social media : helping us connect or contributing to loneliness? They say social media connects people from all over the world. But despite having thousands of friends online and hundreds of likes under photos, we can still feel lonely. Why is it happening?
- How has Snapchat changed the social media industry?
- Should there be a limit for sending text messages?
- The impact of social media on the phenomenon of narcissism.
- The issue of missing real life while filming?
- Advantages and disadvantages of social media for college students .
- What is the value of digital photos compared to those taken by film cameras?
- What would make people delete their Facebook account?
- Are new popular game apps a part of the culture?
- Should social media consider adding a “dislike” function?
- Screen time matters: what makes people stare at their phones so much?
- The decline of Facebook’s popularity and its reasons.
- How to only choose useful apps for your smartphone.
- Employers on Facebook : why should you be careful with your content?
- They are watching you: how to keep your privacy online ?
- The issue of fake profiles online.
- Is there still a deep meaning in digital photography?
- Do influencers have fun spending hours taking a perfect shot?
- Mental health and social media : is there anyone to help?
- The optimal age restriction for new social media users.
- Manipulating people’s feelings online: dangers.
👪 Family Argumentative Topics 2023
- How traumatic is the divorce of the parents for a child? There is no doubt that children are sensitive in terms of the relationship between their parents. Usually, kids blame themselves for the split of the family. As it often happens, they also go through a divorce in their adulthood.
- Kids’ rooms: why privacy matters? Parents don’t usually think about the privacy of their children. They rush to invade in their rooms without permission and go through their stuff. How does it affect the perception of trust in kids?
- Should we reconsider the age restrictions for starting a family? The age when young couples decide to get married and start a family varies from culture to culture. However, sometimes it appears that they are not ready for that. Should we think about implementing some restrictions to protect their mental and physical health?
- What is the optimal age for children to travel without supervision? It is also a matter of personal preference. However, there must be some limits. Up until a specific age, parents are fully responsible for the safety of their children. But kids need some freedom. What should be a solution?
- Where is the line between discipline and child abuse ? Unfortunately, some parents don’t know when to stop. It is normal to practice some disciplinary methods, but crossing the line is dangerous. A child’s mental health is on stake. What parents see as a light punishment, may look like an act of hate and abuse for a child.
- Should fathers spend as much time with their kids as mothers do?
- Choosing the teenagers’ outfits or letting them do it?
- Sharing the records of the students with parents: is it the right decision?
- Limiting the screen time of children and the benefits.
- Who should teach kids how to behave ?
- The community approach to building families and raising kids.
- Traveling around as a family: benefits for the relationship between the family members.
- Are parents violating children’s rights by posting pictures of them online?
- Pursuing parents’ dreams: do children have a choice?
- Bribing kids: is it for their sake or to spare a minute of peace for parents?
- The effect of modern culture on childhood.
- No punishment: what is the effect on children?
- Teaching children responsibility without pushing them to do chores.
- Buying your kids expensive technology: is it worth it?
- A life without store-bought toys: the benefits.
- Pros and cons of moving outside the city as a family.
- Is it appropriate for kids to watch horror movies ?
- Are there restrictions for Halloween costumes, and what are they?
- Encouraging children without giving them too many trophies.
- How are parents shaping the children’s behavior unconsciously?
👨⚕️ Argumentative Research Paper Topics on Health and Nutrition
- What is the role of nutrition in professional sports (e.g., soccer)? We all know professional athletes train a lot. But how important is nutrition in that process? Why do they follow different diets and still get pretty much the same results? Are there specific foods that help them win?
- Are French fries considered a part of your vegetable intake? Most of us probably wish it was true. Well, potatoes are vegetables, frying oils are made of plants as well. What’s the problem? It appears it is not that simple.
- Why are school diets not as healthy as we wish they were? Parents all over the world would surely like to see some nutritious and healthy lunches at schools. But the reality is far from that, especially in the US. Why do only some schools implement healthy diets for school lunches?
- Why is reading the lists of ingredients on the products so important? Unfortunately, most people don’t have a clue about what they eat and where it comes from. The worst part is that it may contribute to their health issues in the future. Reading the labels can save people from consuming harmful foods.
- E-cigarettes and under-aged: should teenagers use them? Maybe e-cigarettes are not as harmful as the usual smoke, but they still carry some risks. Moreover, they increase the chance that people would start smoking tobacco later. So why do we allow teens to use them?
- The age restrictions on alcohol: should the limits be lowered?
- What is the effectiveness of the pictures on the tobacco packs?
- The health risks connected with cosmetic surgeries .
- Are the diets that models follow healthy enough?
- Marijuana and science: what are the effects of this drug on our health?
- Why do looks matter more in our society than being healthy?
- Implementing required drug tests for school students: pros and cons.
- The hidden harm of the regular consumption of energy drinks .
- The phenomenon of binge drinking in the US.
- What are the restrictions on the amount of sugar in soft drinks?
- The methods colleges can implement to reduce the drinking problem among students .
- Distracted driving : is it as serious and drunk driving?
- What is the real importance of not skipping breakfast?
- The issue of texting while driving from the perspective of being illegal.
- The best and healthiest variation of the school lunch .
- Do schools have the right to ban unvaccinated students?
- Legal suicides from the perspective of ethics.
- Terminal diseases: should patients decide how they end their lives?
- Is there a way to prevent teenagers from smoking ?
- Why do people keep eating chips even when they know it’s not healthy?
🗳️ Government Argumentative Essay Topics 2023
- Authorities and values: what moral obligations should people with power have? Power doesn’t mean permission to do anything they want. Political leaders are obligated to use it wisely. But what are the standards? Should it be just a common sense of morality or something more?
- Do our political leaders lead us in the right direction? Everybody must have wondered about it at least once. It is undoubtedly hard to trust our leaders without any doubts. They set the course of our lives. But how do we know whether they do it for the good of each and every citizen without exceptions?
- To raise or not to raise: the question of the minimum wage . Many people are struggling with finances, and the rise of the minimum wage would help them out. This research can focus on supporting this idea by presenting strong arguments.
- How achievable is the American dream when you start in the US from scratch? We all heard successful stories about the poor becoming millionaires in the US. But how far is it from reality? What are the real chances of people with low income to become self-made wealthy business owners?
- Global crisis: who is responsible for refugees ? It’s not the refugees’ fault that wars have come to their home countries. Just like any other human being, they need our help. But who decides which country should take them? Who is responsible?
- American democracy : how strongly citizens believe in it?
- Politics becoming more friendly and outgoing: pros and cons.
- Are we paying back enough to the veterans ?
- Why is the US considered to be the best country?
- Illegal immigrants and education : the rights and responsibilities.
- The new authorities: should the opposition still deny it or become open-minded?
- Immigrants with no documentation : what are the consequences of leaving them in peace?
- The importance of the first lady nowadays.
- Pay-offs: should we just pay terrorists to free the hostages?
- Why is the current voting system failing?
- Some of the most effective ways to encourage people to vote.
- The morality of spying on fellow countries.
- The most beneficial way to spend the city’s extra budget.
- Knowing the right time: negotiating with opponent countries.
- The most common issues city mayors should address immediately.
- In what situations the military is allowed to use force without doubts?
- How much taxes should millionaires pay?
- Why do governments prefer national safety over our privacy?
- Should all governments allow same-sex marriages ?
- Young leaders: at what age should people start pursuing politics?
💡 Other Research Paper Topic Ideas
- Fallacies of Afrocentrism.
- Antisemitism in the world today.
- Controversy over children being made into models.
- Money is the root of all evil.
- Corporal punishment .
- The right age for drinking .
- Doping and sports : possible misunderstandings
- Extended breastfeeding: pros and cons.
- Do we have to talk about feminism that much ?
- Food safety training and its outcomes.
- U.S. border control : the insights.
- Incest: why is this love forbidden ?
- Child advocacy : is it effective enough?
- Child adoption by a gay family.
- DADT repeal and its importance.
- The minimum wage in your state.
- The impact of the Gold Rush on California’s native communities.
- Native American sovereignty issues.
- The Pledge of Allegiance: was adding “under God” in 1954 to it the right choice?
- The effectiveness of military action against terrorism .
- What isn’t worth going to war for?
- War tax: to pay or to resist?
- You’re allowed to be cast in pornographic movies when you’re 18. But it’s not OK for you to buy alcohol until you’re 21? Where’s the logic?
- Homelessness : whose fault is it?
- Premarital sex : is it a problem in American society?
- Legalized prostitution .
- Tolerance for nudism and naturism.
- Shorter work weeks.
- Video games : leisure, or abuse ?
- What’s happening at the zoo? Animal abuse and problems of animals living in captivity .
Research paper writing is not the most complicated academic assignment; and still, it does take a lot of time! Our argumentative essay topic ideas are meant to save your time when you need to choose what to write about.
Also be sure to check out our great article with 50 more argumentative research paper topics – it has a lot of useful ideas for your next amazing essay.
🕵️♂️ Choosing an Argumentative Paper Topic
Writing a college argumentative research paper is not as easy as it may seem at first glance. In fact, the difficulties start right from the beginning—choosing the right topic. We may have handed you a great list of argumentative topics, but still it takes a careful eye to pick a topic to write about. If you choose the wrong topic, you might get stuck with your writing and have a hard time moving forward.
But don’t worry! Soon you will have no more questions about how to write an argumentative essay.
Why is that?
There are several essential criteria to be considered when choosing easy topics to write on. And you will discover them right now.
Argumentative Essay: Writing Rules
Here are the basic rules:
- Write about what you know. Although this may seem obvious to some students, you need to have some basic knowledge about the chosen topic. You probably already have some topics you are familiar with, so opting for one of them will save you time and effort. Even research won’t frighten you away because you will know where to start.
- Find things that you’re passionate about and write about them. Essentially, this is a recommendation rather than a rule. The more you like your essay topic, the easier it will be to generate solid and engaging content that your audience will like.
- Don’t choose anything too broad; stay specific. It’s okay to think of some general topics at first, but then you should gradually narrow your topics down to just a few. The last remaining ones will be the ones you feel most comfortable with.
- Make sure your thesis has enough defense. Choosing a wonderful topic that is not protected against potential counterarguments is a common mistake among students. So think twice before making your final choice, and consider the evidence you have available.
- Opt for an argument that will appeal to your audience’s emotions. By making your readers emotionally relate to your words and position, you’ll connect them with what you’re trying to express. You’ll certainly have to include rational arguments in your paper, but choosing a topic that doesn’t trigger any feeling isn’t the best choice.
- Choose a topic that is directly related to your assignment. Before starting to research and write, you’ll need to get closely acquainted with your task instead of just scanning it. Carefully check all the keywords to understand the essence of the assignment. Missing even minor details or instructions can break your paper!
- Stay away from topics that don’t have two sides of the problem. Don’t forget that an argumentative essay is all about the argument. No argument means no argumentative essay. Before you start writing, take some notes: write down your thesis and an opposing thesis or an argument with its counterargument. Thinking carefully and writing it all down will save you time!
📑 Organizing Your Argumentative Paper
Here we’ll explain how to organize your argumentative essay. Keep in mind that your paper structure still has to stay flexible to meet the needs of your purpose and your readers. Our recommendation? Create an argumentative essay outline to make the writing process faster and easier.
This part lays a solid foundation for your argumentative paper by providing answers to the reader’s questions:
Receive a plagiarism-free paper tailored to your instructions.
- What is in front of me?
- Why should I read it?
- What do you want me to do?
Let’s see how these three questions can be answered in the basic steps for how to write an essay introduction:
- Give some background information about the main idea and provide an explanation of the issue and the situation. Your reader should understand the topic, as well as your claims and their support.
- Explain the importance of the main idea. This step will convince the reader to keep reading and really care about the content.
- Describe your thesis/claim with logos, pathos, and ethos . Compose a few sentences that support your position with writer’s logic (logos), emotional appeals (pathos), and author’s trustworthiness/credibility (ethos).
Your argumentative essay should have body paragraphs that each look like an inverted pyramid: moving from general to specific. The broadest idea is located at the top, and as you continue writing, you become more concentrated on the main point, eventually coming to specific evidence to support your claim.
Good Argumentative Essay Paragraph
The following four elements are present in a good argumentative essay paragraph (also called TTEB ):
- A transition sentence assures smooth reading by leading from one paragraph to the next.
- A topic sentence explains to the reader what will be discussed in a paragraph.
- Specific evidence and analysis support your claim. They provide more detail than a topic sentence.
- A brief wrap-up (or a warrant) explains to the reader why and in what way this information supports the thesis. Basically, it connects your evidence to your main argument. It also demonstrates how the paragraph is connected to your thesis and assists in defending it.
This part of your essay concludes the discussion in your paper. The conclusion is a generalization and restating of the argument’s main points. It may also include a call to action or suggest further research. Here’s what any conclusion should do:
- Restate the topic.
- Tell why the chosen topic is important.
- Restate the specific thesis/claim.
- Cover opposing points of view.
- Make readers align with the writer’s position.
- Call readers to action or propose further research.
These core elements are the critical final steps in writing an argumentative essay.
Just 13.00 10.40/page , and you can get an custom-written academic paper according to your instructions
Our advice is to discover more tips and ideas for choosing argumentative essay samples to know what exactly argumentative essays look like. You can also get professional help from qualified essay writers from Custom-Writing.org.
Learn more on this topic:
- Top Ideas for Argumentative or Persuasive Essay Topics
- 97 Inspirational & Motivational Argumentative Essay Topics
- Great Persuasive & Argumentative Essay on Divorce
- Gun Control Essay: How-to Guide + Argumentative Topics
- Proposal Essay Topics and Ideas – Easy and Interesting
- Free Exemplification Essay Examples
✏️ Argumentative Research Paper FAQ
An argumentative research paper is a piece of writing you work on when you need to defend your position. You have an issue, and you have your point of view. All you need to do is to write an essay strong enough to persuade your opponents. There are specific writing steps, too.
Some good argumentative research paper topics would always be related to the theme you feel passionate about. For example, if you think that every life is precious, consider writing about the death penalty. Or if you enjoy promoting a healthy lifestyle, you can write a persuasive statement on youth alcoholism.
A debatable question is such a question that can encourage the start of a debate. Some people would support the issue, while others would disagree because they have doubts. It means that the opposition would try to persuade others. Mostly, such questions are related to moral issues, politics, and gender equality.
Today, the most debated topics are controversial and related to human rights, environmental issues, gender equality, as well as women’s rights. For instance, some people insist that climate change is not the most important problem now. Others would disagree and argue that we need to take action immediately to prevent the collapse of the ecosystem.
- Research Papers | KU Writing Center
- Purdue OWL: Research Papers–Choosing a Topic
- What is a Research Paper? | Online Writing Center
- Project Topics Research Papers – Academia.edu
- 200 Prompts for Argumentative Writing – The New York Times
- Thesis Generator | Ashford Writing Center
- Social Media Studies | SAGE Publications Inc
- List of issues Journal of Family Studies – Taylor & Francis Online
- Journal of Child and Family Studies | Home – Springer
- Nutrition | Nutrition Studies Research Group | Stanford Medicine
- American Society for Nutrition – Nutrition Research & Practice
- List of issues Local Government Studies
- Argumentative Paper Format. University of Washington
- Suggestions for Developing Argumentative Essays. UC Berkeley
- Share to Facebook
- Share to Twitter
- Share to LinkedIn
- Share to email
Research topic about TVL, please
John Paul, you can use our essay topic generator https://custom-writing.org/writing-tools/topic-generator or ask our experts here . Thanks!
The best one!
Thanks for such kind words 🙂 Be sure to come back for more helpful posts!
Hi guys, I’m stuck in the mind of blankness. I have to do a term paper by Monday on Corporate social responsibilities on Shell Corrib Gas and can’t think off my heading or argument. I have a lot of information. Just don’t know where to begin. Please help 🙁
Hi Emma, We’d be happy to help you. You’re welcome to place an order with our writing service and we’ll find the most experienced expert for you. Looking forward to serve your needs.
Thank you so much for providing these topics! I have been searching and searching for topics for the English course, which I will be taking for the third time! I am most definitely sure that one of these topics will be suitable! I appreciate it very much! Again, thank you!
:)This is so helpful! I will use this again for sure.
Oh my God, I was searching for all of these. Thank you so… must. Best argumentative topics!
Thank you for your feedback, Katherine! 🙂 We’re glad to be useful:)
What about the rainforest? I know people have arguments about the trees getting cut down. Why don’t kids have a say in this all too?
Well, you certainly can use that topic – as long as you feel the most comfortable and confident about it. It’s essential to be able to prove your point of view. The ideas which we are offering are just suggestions for possible topics:) We wish you good luck with your argumentative research paper:)
This is amazing! Thank you very much for this list of topics!
Recommended for You
178 Best Research Titles about Cookery & Food
If you think about it carefully, most of our lives are spinning around food. We talk about it all the time: planning what to eat next, recalling the delicious dishes we had before, and even watching culinary shows. The cookery and food industry is the largest one, among others. And...
224 Research Topics on Technology & Computer Science
Are you new to the world of technology? Do you need topics related to technology to write about? No worries, Custom-writing.org experts are here to help! In this article, we offer you a multitude of creative and interesting technology topics from various research areas, including information technology and computer science....
256 Research Topics on Criminal Justice & Criminology
Are you a law school student studying criminal behavior or forensic science? Or maybe just looking for good criminal justice topics, questions, and hypotheses? Look no further! Custom-writing.org experts offer a load of criminology research topics and titles for every occasion. Criminological theories, types of crime, the role of media...
A List of 580 Interesting Research Topics [2023 Edition]
In school and college, you will be required to write research papers. Yes — papers in the plural. And that’s the first reason you may want to turn to Custom Writing and seek help with research projects. When assigned a paper, the very first undertaking is to choose from a...
147 Social Studies Topics for Your Research Project
Social studies is an integrated research field. It includes a range of topics on social science and humanities, such as history, culture, geography, sociology, education, etc. A social studies essay might be assigned to any middle school, high school, or college student. It might seem like a daunting task, but...
Top 100 Research Topics & Titles about Food & TVL
When you look for a good research paper topic, you can easily become the severest critic of any proposed idea. Some topics do not interest you at the very least, while others might shock your teachers. Where is the golden mean? Check out this list of top 100 research paper...
- PowerPoint Presentation
- Book Report/Review
- Research Proposal
- Math Problems
- Movie Review
- Cover Letter Writing
- Personal Statement
- Nursing Paper
- Argumentative Essay
- Research Paper
80 Great Compelling Argumentative Research Topics
Table of Contents
We argue every day, we discuss everything with our friends and family, and everything seems so simple and understandable. But when you have to arrange the discussion in a written form argumentative research paper , that’s where the rubber meets the road.
Usually, teachers provide a theme to write about, and all your problems narrow down to the search of information and to writing a text. However, when you receive a chance to select a topic on your own, it can become a real nightmare.
You face a writer’s block, the field of study is not interesting for you, so you feel no excitement over the writing task. The list of possible problems can be prolonged.
We believe that those students who can pick a topic are lucky ones! You receive a possibility to write about things that turn your crank , what’s not to love?
How to select great argumentative research paper topics?
Here is one simple rule: you will never write a top-notch college research paper if your topic does not provoke a discussion. It should be a controversial theme without clear answer so you can try to argue the public with the opposite point of view into your standpoint.
Here are some signs of the catching subject matter:
- It hits a raw nerve so many readers can take it to heart.
- You can find solid facts to support your point of view.
- It is not to cover moral issues as it is impossible to hold a logical discussion.
- It leaves an aftertaste so the reader will think about it after he finishes reading.
- Most importantly, you feel enthusiastic about it.
In case a lack of inspiration makes you waste time thinking about the most appropriate argumentative research paper writing ,browse through our list of the best topics to choose from!
Controversial argumentative essay topics
- Is politics always a dirty game?
- Is gun control an efficient way to control crimes?
- Should animals be used in experiments/testing?
- Only a person with native ability can become a great politician.
- Is the death penalty efficient?
Good argumentative essay topics
- Everyone should get a higher education.
- Can humans influence climate change?
- Is Spanish the simplest language to study?
- Is art a profession?
- Can a philosopher succeed in life?
The best argumentative essay topics
- Free access to the Internet harms students’ ability to study.
- Are tests like the SAT are efficient nowadays?
- Can school uniform equalize rich and poor students?
- Prisoners should not be allowed to vote.
- Girls today behave more aggressive towards other girls.
Perfect argumentative essay topics for middle school
- Should we blame teachers if students show low results in testing?
- Should we ban vending machines at school?
- People should dedicate more time to sleep.
- Children should not watch horror films.
- Should parents be allowed to spank their children?
Argumentative essay topics for college
- The most appropriate age to start voting.
- Is the white lie acceptable if the truth hurts somebody’s feelings?
- It is necessary to ban energetic drinks.
- Should schools include athletes as a part of school life?
- Is it right to boost taxes for wealthy people?
Interesting argumentative essay topics for high school
- Is child behavior better or worse these days than it was 20 years ago?
- Is it beneficial for students to attend single-sex schools?
- Nowadays humanity is too dependent on technologies
- Should the government influence our diet?
- Is there any connection between violent video games and violent behavior?
Sports argumentative essay topics
- NCAA has a negative impact on the academic progress of student-athletes.
- Steroids should be considered illegal.
- Colleges spend too much money on sports.
- Female student-athletes are discriminated.
- Is cheerleading a real sport?
Argumentative essay topics education
- Are inclusive schools beneficial for “general education” students?
- Can standardized tests determine the level of knowledge and talent of a student?
- Should everyone get a higher education?
- How does gender affect education?
- How does parents’ poverty affect the child’s education?
Medical argumentative essay topics
- Is it correct to refuse treatment because of religious beliefs?
- Should teenagers be allowed to do plastic surgery without parents’ permission?
- Should doctors disconnect patients who cannot be alive without life support machines?
- Should the government punish inoperative parents of children with obesity?
- Do doctors violate the children’s rights if they do not provide treatment according to the parent’s denial to treat the child?
Music argumentative essay topics
- What will be the next music revolution?
- Can violent lyrics in songs affect violent behavior?
- Is music in the workspace a disturbance?
- Can music be called an art?
- Are today’s lyrics making any sense?
American history argumentative essay topics
- The impact of Mormons on the American outlook.
- Could Abraham Lincoln let off the Southern States from the Union without war?
- How did slavery impact the American economy?
- The Federal Reserve had a great impact on the Great Depression.
- The Second Amendment is the most controversial point of the Constitution.
Psychology argumentative essay topics
- Boy-Girl friendship is impossible.
- Should men be protected from feminist attacks?
- Should surrogacy be legalized?
- Depression is the main illness of society.
- Do parents encourage gender stereotypes?
Technology argumentative essay topics
- Can online dating replace real dating?
- Technology limits creativity.
- Exploring space is a waste of money.
- Technologies make people feel lonely.
- Technologies have a positive impact on education.
Argumentative philosophy essay topics
- Moral rules enslave people.
- Should abortion be legalized?
- Is it ethical to use drugs enhancing cognition?
- Should patriotism be considered a virtue?
- Are people good or evil by nature?
Argumentative essay topics about animals
- Zoos are good for animals.
- Wearing fur and leather is always unethical.
- Is it OK for people to keep exotic pets?
- Are wildlife preserves healthy for all species that live there?
- Should animal fashion be banned?
Argumentative essay topics on immigration
- Immigration is a help to the national economy.
- Illegal immigration can provoke terrorism.
- Children of illegal immigrants should have access to the public system.
- Refugees should be considered legal immigrants.
- A thorough check of documents by employers will decrease the number of illegal immigrants.
Chose the coolest topic, but have no inspiration to write the essay? Well, our professional writers are always inspired to offer you a helping hand! Click the button to learn more.
Tips on writing an Essay about mother
How To Create A Best Abortion Argumentative Essay?
55 Rare Topics For Persuasive Essays
Argumentative Essay Guide
Argumentative Essay Topics
250+ Argumentative Essay Topic Ideas To Help You Out
17 min read
Published on: Feb 7, 2018
Last updated on: Nov 22, 2023
People also read
The Ultimate Guide to Argumentative Essay Writing
Argumentative Essay Outline: How to Structure Your Argumentative Essay
Argumentative Essay Examples: Samples & Tips
Learn the 3 Different Types of Argument and Multiple Argument Claims
Share this article
Have you been assigned an argumentative essay? Are you wondering about which topic you should choose?
Choosing a good topic is the first step to writing your argumentative essay . But ideas and inspirations don’t come easily.
That’s why we've curated a list of 250+ captivating argumentative essay topics. Whether you’re in high school or college, we’ve got you covered. These topics will sharpen your critical thinking and also encourage you to delve into contentious issues.
So read on to find the best argumentative topic to write about!
On This Page On This Page -->
Best Argumentative Essay Topics for Students
Below is a list of argumentative topics for students of all levels. With such varied topics available for exploration, you can easily find one that sparks your interest without difficulty.
Argumentative Essay Topics For Middle School Students
- Should students be allowed to have cell phones in school?
- Is homework necessary for students to succeed academically?
- Should school uniforms be mandatory for all students?
- Is video gaming harmful or beneficial for young people's development?
- Should pets be allowed in school to reduce stress and anxiety?
- Is it important for middle school students to learn a second language?
- Should junk food be banned from school cafeterias to promote healthier eating habits?
- Is online learning as effective as traditional classroom learning?
- Should students be required to participate in physical education classes every day?
- Is it fair for students to be graded on their participation in class discussions?
Argumentative Essay Topics For Grade 6
These easy argumentative essay topics for 6th graders are perfect for sparking classroom debates.
- Should schools have a longer summer vacation?
- Is it important for students to have a say in the rules and policies of their school?
- Should students be allowed to choose their own books for reading assignments?
- Is it fair for students to have to wear school uniforms?
- Should junk food be banned in school cafeterias?
- Should schools provide more opportunities for physical education and exercise?
- Is it important for students to learn a foreign language in school?
- Should students be allowed to have cell phones in the classroom?
- Should schools be required to offer art, music, and creative subjects?
Argumentative Essay Topics For 7th Graders
- What rights, if any, should teenagers have to control their lives?
- Do children learn more from rewards or punishments?
- Should physical education be mandatory in schools?
- Is the amount of homework given to students appropriate or excessive?
- Are standardized tests an effective measure of student performance?
- Should parents have access to their children's social media accounts?
- Do video games have a positive or negative effect on academic achievement?
- Should students be allowed to bring their own technology to school?
- Does the Internet create more opportunities for learning or less?
- Should schools teach values and morality as part of the curriculum?
Argumentative Essay Topics For Grade 8
- Should students be allowed to have cell phones in school, and what are the pros and cons of this policy?
- Is the use of social media by middle school students harmful or beneficial to their development?
- Should schools teach financial literacy and money management as part of the curriculum?
- Is it important for 8th graders to learn about climate change and its environmental impacts in school?
- Should standardized testing be the primary method of evaluating student achievement and teacher effectiveness?
- Is there a need for stricter gun control laws in the United States?
- Should students have the option to choose their own extracurricular activities, or should these activities be assigned by the school?
- Is it ethical for zoos to keep animals in captivity for educational purposes?
- Should the voting age be lowered?
- Should the government provide free public transportation for middle school students to reduce traffic congestion and pollution?
Argumentative Essay Topics For High School Students
- Should the government regulate the sale and consumption of sugary drinks to combat obesity?
- Is it ethical for schools to use metal detectors and conduct random searches of students' belongings?
- Should high school students be required to perform community service as part of their graduation requirements?
- Is the use of technology in the classroom, such as laptops and tablets, more helpful or harmful to learning?
- Should schools teach comprehensive sex education to high school students, including topics like consent and contraception?
- Is the death penalty an effective and just punishment for serious crimes?
- Should high school athletes be required to maintain a certain GPA to participate in sports?
- Is homeschooling a better educational option than traditional public or private schools?
- Should schools have a mandatory course on digital literacy and internet safety?
- Is the use of surveillance cameras in public places a violation of privacy rights?
Argumentative Essay Topics For O Levels
- Should religious education be mandatory in schools?
- Do children learn better through traditional teaching methods or the use of technology?
- Should the school curricula include more practical skills than theoretical knowledge?
- Is the internet a necessity or distraction for studying?
- Are violent video games responsible for violent behavior?
- Should school days be shorter to accommodate more activities?
- Does the availability of online resources improve educational standards?
- Is there enough emphasis on education in our society?
- Should schools provide healthier meal options for children?
- Are parents responsible for their child's educational outcomes?
Argumentative Essay Topics For College
- Should college athletes be paid for their participation in sports?
- Is online education as effective as traditional classroom learning for college students?
- Should colleges and universities implement affirmative action policies to increase diversity among students and faculty?
- Should college education be free?
- Should colleges have stricter policies against plagiarism and academic dishonesty?
- Is there a need for stronger gun control laws in the United States to prevent mass shootings on college campuses?
- Should college students be required to take courses in ethics and morality as part of their core curriculum?
- Is it ethical for colleges and universities to invest their endowment funds in industries such as fossil fuels or tobacco?
- Should colleges and universities eliminate standardized testing (SAT and ACT) as a requirement for admissions?
- Should the curriculum in colleges and universities be more focused on practical skills and job readiness?
Argumentative Essay Topics For University Students
- Is there a need for stricter regulations on social media platforms to protect user privacy and combat misinformation?
- Should universities implement quotas to increase diversity among students and faculty?
- Is artificial intelligence a threat to employment and job security for university graduates?
- Should universities adopt a pass/fail grading system instead of traditional letter grades?
- Is it ethical for universities to accept funding from industries with questionable environmental or ethical practices?
- Should universities require students to take courses on global citizenship and cultural competency?
- Is the use of animals in scientific research morally justifiable, and should it be allowed in universities?
- Should universities offer courses on cryptocurrency and blockchain technology?
- Should universities lower tuition fees to make education more accessible?
- Should universities be allowed to use affirmative action policies for admissions?
Argumentative Essay Topics For Kid
- Should students have a longer summer break?
- Should students be allowed to have a pet in their classroom?
- Is it better to read books in print or on a digital device?
- Should schools have a dress code?
- Is it important for kids to eat their vegetables every day?
- Is it better to have a longer or shorter school day?
- Should kids be allowed to have a TV or computer in their bedrooms?
- Is it important for kids to learn to play a musical instrument?
- Lunch break should be 1 hour long.
- Argue in favor of your favorite TV show or cartoon series.
Argumentative Essay Topics for Different Fields
Argumentative skills come in handy in almost every field or subject of study. Here are some good topics for a variety of subjects.
Mental Health Argumentative Essay Topics
- The Efficacy of Medication vs. Therapy in Treating Mental Health Disorders
- Is Involuntary Hospitalization Justified for Individuals with Severe Mental Illness?
- Should Mental Health Days Be Incorporated into Employment Benefits?
- The Influence of Genetics vs. Environment on Mental Health Disorders
- The Stigma of Mental Health: Should It Be Legally Addressed?
- Are Trigger Warnings in Educational Settings Helpful or Harmful for Mental Health?
- The Impact of Exercise and Nutrition on Mental Well-being
- Mandatory Reporting of Mental Health Issues: Protecting Society or Violating Privacy?
- The Legalization and Regulation of Psychedelics for Mental Health Treatment
- The Use of Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT) in Severe Cases of Mental Illness.
Medical Argumentative Essay Topics
- Should Vaccinations Be Mandatory for All Children to Prevent Disease Outbreaks?
- The Ethics of Organ Transplants: Should Organs Be Sold to the Highest Bidder?
- Is Access to Healthcare a Fundamental Right or a Privilege?
- The Legalization and Regulation of Assisted Suicide for Terminally Ill Patients.
- The Impact of Fast Food and Junk Food Advertising on Childhood Obesity.
- Is Animal Testing Necessary for Medical Research or Should It Be Banned?
- Should Genetic Engineering and Designer Babies Be Allowed for Preventing Genetic Diseases?
- The Role of Alternative Medicine in Conventional Healthcare: Complementary or Controversial?
- Mental Health Parity: Should Insurance Companies Cover Mental Health Treatment Equally as Physical Health Treatment?
- The Use of Medical Marijuana for Pain Management and Treatment of Chronic Illnesses.
Argumentative Essay Topics On Technology
- Is Technology Making Us More or Less Socially Connected?
- Should Parents Limit Screen Time for Children to Prevent Digital Addiction?
- Is Artificial Intelligence (AI) a Threat to Human Employment?
- The Ethics of Data Privacy: Are Tech Companies Responsible for Protecting User Data?
- Should Schools Implement a Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) Policy?
- The Impact of Technology on Healthcare: Is Telemedicine an Effective Alternative to In-Person Care?
- Is Online Learning as Effective as Traditional Classroom Learning?
- The Role of Social Media in Influencing Political Opinion: Does It Promote Polarization?
- Should Autonomous Vehicles Be Allowed on the Roads, and What Are the Ethical Implications?
- Is Technology Making Us More Productive or More Distracted?
Argumentative Essay Topics On Social Media
- Is Social Media a Positive or Negative Influence on Society?
- The Impact of Social Media on Mental Health: Does It Lead to More Harm than Good?
- Should Parents Have the Right to Monitor Their Children's Social Media Activity?
- Is Social Media Responsible for the Spread of Fake News and Misinformation?
- Social Media and Free Speech: Should Platforms Regulate Content More Strictly?
- The Influence of Social Media on Political Engagement and Activism.
- Is Social Media Contributing to a Culture of Narcissism and Self-Obsession?
- The Role of Social Media in Cyberbullying: Should There Be Stricter Laws to Combat Online Harassment?
- The Ethics of Data Privacy: How Should Social Media Companies Handle User Information?
- Is Social Media Addiction a Real Concern, and What Measures Can Be Taken to Address It?
Political Argumentative Essay Topics
- Is Democracy the Best Form of Government, or Are There Alternatives?
- The Role of Money in Politics: Should There Be Stricter Campaign Finance Laws?
- Should the Electoral College System Be Reformed or Abolished in the United States?
- Is Voter ID Legislation Necessary to Prevent Election Fraud, or Does It Suppress Voting Rights?
- The Ethics of Lobbying: Is It a Vital Part of the Political Process or a Corrupting Influence?
- Immigration Policy: Should There Be a Pathway to Citizenship for Undocumented Immigrants?
- Universal Healthcare: Is It a Right, a Privilege, or Economically Infeasible?
- The Role of Social Media in Shaping Political Decisions and Public Opinion.
- Political Parties: Is two-party system better than a multi-party system?
- Environmental Policy: Should Governments Take More Aggressive Measures to Combat Climate Change?
Argumentative Essay Topics on International Relations & Foreign Policy
- The Role of the United Nations in Maintaining Global Peace and Security: Is It Effective or Ineffective?
- Should the United States Maintain Its Military Presence in Foreign Countries?
- Nuclear Proliferation: How Should the International Community Address the Threat of Nuclear Weapons?
- The Ethics of Humanitarian Interventions: Is Military Intervention in Cases of Genocide Justified?
- Global Trade and Tariffs: Are Protectionist Policies Harmful to the Global Economy?
- Refugee Crisis: Should Wealthy Countries Be Obligated to Accept More Refugees?
- Climate Change and International Cooperation: Can Nations Achieve Meaningful Agreements to Combat Climate Change?
- The Role of Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) in Shaping International Policy and Aid.
- Cybersecurity and International Relations: How Should Nations Respond to Cyber Attacks?
- Should International Sanctions Be Used as a Tool to Influence the Behavior of Rogue States?
History Argumentative Essay Topics
- The Significance of Christopher Columbus's Voyages: Celebratory Hero or Colonial Conqueror?
- The Justifiability of Dropping Atomic Bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
- Was the American Revolution a Justified War for Independence or an Act of Rebellion?
- The Legacy of Colonialism: Should Nations That Engaged in Colonialism Offer Reparations?
- The Role of Women in the Suffrage Movement: Were Militant Tactics Justified or Counterproductive?
- The Historical Accuracy of the Founding Fathers' Intentions in Writing the U.S. Constitution.
- The Impact of the Vietnam War on U.S. Society and Politics: Was It Justifiable or a Grave Mistake?
- The Crusades: Holy Wars or Imperialistic Aggression?
- The Legacy of Slavery: Should the U.S. Government Offer Reparations to Descendants of Enslaved People?
- The Influence of Ancient Philosophers like Plato and Aristotle on Modern Political Thought: Beneficial or Outdated?
Social Argumentative Essay Topics
- Universal Healthcare: Is It a Basic Right or a Financial Burden?
- The Impact of Income Inequality on Society: Should There Be Wealth Redistribution Policies?
- Affirmative Action: Does It Promote Equality or Discrimination?
- Should Same-Sex Marriage Be Legalized Worldwide?
- The Criminal Justice System and Mass Incarceration: Does It Promote Rehabilitation or Recidivism?
- The Legalization of Drugs: Should All Drugs Be Decriminalized or Legalized?
- Education Inequality: How Can We Bridge the Achievement Gap?
- The Role of Social Media in Shaping Body Image and Self-Esteem: Is It Harmful or Empowering?
- Animal Rights: Should Animals Have the Same Legal Protections as Humans?
- The Impact of Technology on Social Isolation: Is It Bringing People Closer Together or Further Apart?
Argumentative Essay Topics About Education
- Standardized Testing: Is It an Effective Measure of Student Learning or an Overused Practice?
- Should Higher Education Be Free for All Eligible Students?
- The Role of Technology in the Classroom: Is It Enhancing or Distracting from Learning?
- The Value of Homework: Is It Beneficial or Detrimental to Student Achievement?
- School Vouchers: Should Parents Have the Option to Choose Their Child's School?
- The Importance of Arts and Music Education in Schools: Should It Be Prioritized or Reduced?
- Should Sex Education Be Taught in Schools, and If So, What Should It Include?
- The Impact of School Uniforms: Does It Improve Discipline and Academic Performance?
- Homeschooling vs. Traditional Schooling: Which Is More Effective?
- The Role of Critical Thinking and Creativity in Education: Are They Being Neglected in Modern Curriculum?
Good Argumentative Essay Topics for Debate
- The use of marijuana should be illegal. Yes or No?
- YouTube channel owners should edit foul language in the comments.
- Does freedom of speech give people the license to say hateful things?
- Can competitive behavior lead to issues in the long run?
- Should criminals get second chances?
- Ignorance is a blessing. Debate.
- Should the Death Penalty Be Abolished?
- Gun Control Laws: Should They Be Stricter or More Lenient?
- The Ethics of Cloning and Genetic Engineering.
- Is Censorship of Art and Media Ever Justified?
Controversial Argumentative Essay Topics
- Should Abortion Be Legalized?
- The Legalization of Recreational Marijuana: Pros and Cons.
- Should Physician-Assisted Suicide Be a Legal Option for Terminally Ill Patients?
- Capital Punishment: Is It a Justifiable Form of Punishment or Inhumane?
- Is Affirmative Action Necessary to Address Historical Discrimination, or Does It Promote Reverse Discrimination?
- The Ethics of Animal Testing in Scientific Research.
- Should Hate Speech and Offensive Language Be Protected as Free Speech, or Should It Be Regulated?
- The Role of Religion in Public Schools: Should Prayer and Religious Symbols Be Allowed?
- The Right to Bear Arms: Should There Be Stricter Gun Control Laws?
- Genetic Engineering and Designer Babies: Is It Ethical to Manipulate Human DNA?
Fun Argumentative Essay Topics
- Should Video Games Be Considered a Sport?
- Are hot dogs better than burgers?
- The Influence of Memes on Modern Culture: Harmless Fun or Cultural Phenomenon?
- The Best Superpower: Flight vs. Invisibility.
- Cats vs. Dogs: Which Makes a Better Pet?
- Are Sneakers More Comfortable Than Sandals?
- Is Instagram a Valid Form of Artistic Expression?
- The Great Debate: Does Pineapple Belong on Pizza?
- Is Reading a Book Better Than Watching Its Movie Adaptation?
- The Impact of Reality TV Shows on Society: Entertainment or Trashy Distraction?
Sports Argumentative Essay Topics
- Should Performance-Enhancing Drugs in Professional Sports be Banned or Simply Regulated?
- Is American Football Too Dangerous for Youth Participation?
- The Ethics of Celebratory Gestures in Sports: Should Players Be Penalized for Excessive Celebrations?
- Should Women's and Men’s Sports Receive Equal Media Coverage and Funding?
- The Impact of Sports on Mental Health: Does Participation Improve Well-being?
- The Debate Over the Use of Instant Replay in Sports: Does It Enhance or Hinder Fair Play?
- Youth Sports: Are Parents and Coaches Putting Too Much Pressure on Young Professional Athletes?
- The Role of Sports in Promoting Social Change and Activism.
- Should Contact Sports Like Boxing and MMA Be Banned Due to Health Risks?
- Should Student-Athletes be Paid More?
Unique Argumentative Essay Topics
- Is Time Travel Theoretically Possible, and What Would Be Its Implications on Society?
- The Morality of Colonizing Mars: Should We Be Exploring Other Planets?
- The Impact of Artificial Intelligence on Human Creativity: Is AI a Threat to Art and Innovation?
- Should Governments Implement a Universal Basic Income to Combat Poverty?
- The Role of Virtual Reality in Education: Will It Replace Traditional Classrooms?
- The Ethics of Editing Human DNA: Should We Be Pursuing Genetic Enhancement?
- The Existence of Parallel Universes: Scientific Theory or Science Fiction?
- Should Countries Consider Implementing a Four-Day Workweek for Better Work-Life Balance?
- The Consequences of Legalizing Psychedelics for Therapeutic and Recreational Use.
- The Influence of Internet Algorithms on Personalization vs. Polarization: Is It Dangerous?
Easy Argumentative Essay Topics
- Is there a possibility of someone being above the law?
- Capital punishment should be abolished for juvenile prisoners.
- Is climate change a man-made disaster or a natural cycle?
- Should Smoking Be Banned in All Public Places?
- Should Parents Be Held Legally Responsible for Their Child's Bullying Behavior?
- The Pros and Cons of Video Games for Children's Development.
- Are International Borders a Hindrance to Human Development?
- Is It Better to Shop Online or In-Person?
- Is It Ethical to Keep Animals in Zoos?
- Are Corporations Responsible for Environmental Damage?
Argumentative Persuasive Essay Topics
- Parents should have no control over the lives of their adult kids.
- Parents should not give smartphones to their kids.
- Religion and politics should be kept separate.
- Should the Legal Drinking Age Be Lowered to 18?
- The Benefits of Renewable Energy Sources: Why We Should Transition to Clean Energy.
- Is Mandatory Voting a Good Way to Improve Civic Participation?
- Is Online Dating a Better Way to Find Love Than Traditional Dating Methods?
- The Impacts of Volunteering: Why Everyone Should Give Back to Their Community.
- Should Plastic Bags Be Banned to Reduce Environmental Pollution?
- Is Financial Literacy More Important Now than Ever?
Check out these argumentative essay examples to get an idea of what kind of topics make strong argumentative essays.
How to Choose an Interesting Argumentative Essay Topic?
Argumentative essays require the writer to evaluate a topic, collect and generate evidence, and establish a position on the topic in a concise manner. Finding a topic for an argumentative essay can be challenging for students.
When choosing your topic, consider the following:
- Your interest: Selecting an argumentative essay topic that interests you can make the writing process much easier.
- Relevance: Choose a topic that is relevant to your course material and fits into the context of your assignment.
- Research Potential: Consider topics with enough research material available for you to support your argument.
- Debate Potential: Look for topics that have the potential to generate a lively debate. These topics will stir readers’ emotions and invoke discussion.
- Uniqueness: Choose topics that are unique and interesting to make your essay stand out from others.
Selecting a compelling argumentative essay topic is the first step toward crafting a persuasive and thought-provoking essay. The topic you choose should be debatable, inviting readers to engage in meaningful discussions and consider diverse viewpoints.
So, whenever you’re about to write an argumentative essay, take your time to choose the best topic.
Moreover, you can get exceptional essay writing help online from professional writers at MyPerfectWords.com.
Our expert writers tailor your essays to your specific needs and ensure that your paper is well-structured, backed by credible evidence, and adheres to academic standards. So contact our argumentative essay writing service now!
Nova A. (Literature, Marketing)
Nova Allison is a Digital Content Strategist with over eight years of experience. Nova has also worked as a technical and scientific writer. She is majorly involved in developing and reviewing online content plans that engage and resonate with audiences. Nova has a passion for writing that engages and informs her readers.
Paper Due? Why Suffer? That’s our Job!
We value your privacy
Website Data Collection
Are you sure you want to cancel?
Your preferences have not been saved.