Have a question? Check out our comprehensive FAQs below. If you still can’t find the answer you’re looking for, you can visit our step by step Getting Started resources or create a customer support case and a WebAssign team member will be in touch with you shortly.
Account setup, purchasing & access codes, canvas, brightspace, moodle or sakai, assignment management, question management, is webassign included in cengage unlimited.
If you're using a textbook published by Cengage, then yes, access to WebAssign for your course, and all Cengage online homework platforms, is included in the Cengage Unlimited plan that begins at $119.99 for 4-months access.
What is Cengage Unlimited?
Cengage Unlimited is a student savings plan that offers you complete access to the entire Cengage eTextbook library, the FREE Cengage mobile app, at least 4 FREE hardcopy textbook rentals and more starting at $69.99. If you also need access to Cengage online homework platforms like WebAssign , the $119.99 plan option is for you.
How do I get a WebAssign account?
Student accounts are created in one of two ways, depending on how your instructor has decided to handle enrollment. If you are a new student to WebAssign, we recommend you start with our Instructions for Students New to WebAssign .
- If your instructor has chosen to use Self-Enrollment, he or she will provide you with a Class Key. If you have a Class Key, click on “I Have A Class Key” under Students or “Enter Class Key” at the top of webassign.com
- If your instructor has chosen to upload a roster to WebAssign, he/she will provide you with a username and password
- If you’re not sure which choice your instructor has made, please ask him/her, or consult your syllabus or a TA
- After you log in, you can enter an access code you purchased earlier, or you can purchase one online
My instructor has provided a class key in this format: myschool 1234 5678.
Great! Your class key enables you to create an account (or use one you already have), and you will be automatically added to the correct course and section. Enter your class key and log in . Need more help? Download our Quick Start Guide for step-by-step instructions.
My instructor is using WebAssign, but I have not received any information.
To use WebAssign, your instructor must provide you with either a username and password for WebAssign, or a class key, such as "myschool 1234 5678." Check your syllabus for this information or ask a TA or your instructor.
I have a class key and an access code. What's the difference?
Class keys place you in the correct WebAssign class. Access codes give you paid access to the class materials.
Your instructor provides a class key if he or she has chosen to use self-enrollment for your class. If your instructor chose to upload the roster instead, then there is no class key and he or she will provide you with your username and password. See your syllabus or ask your instructor or TA if your class is self-enrolled.
There is a 14-day grace period for payment, starting on the first day of class. You can enter an access code purchased at a bookstore—or pay for WebAssign access online—any time during the grace period.
How do I add a class using a class key?
You need to contact your instructor to get the class key specific to your class.
The class key is usually your school's institution code followed by 8 numbers. Once you get the correct class key, click on “I Have A Class Key” under Students or “Enter Class Key” at the top of webassign.com. This displays a page with three entry boxes for you to input your class key. Enter the institution code in the first box, four numbers in the second box and the last four numbers in the third box. Then confirm that you are now in the right class.
If you already have an account for any Cengage learning platform (WebAssign, MindTap, SAM or OWL), you can use those credentials to log in at this time. If you do not have an account, choose the option to create an account.
When following the steps to create a new account, make sure you jot down or remember the information as you will need it on the subsequent page, which asks for your username, password, first and last name, email and student ID number. This is how you log in to WebAssign and how we will identify you if you have any issues.
Once you submit, you will be enrolled in WebAssign and can log in with the information you provided.
Next you will be taken to a page that prompts you to purchase an access code online, enter one that came with your book or continue your free trial.
You can use your free trial until it expires, but we recommend that you input your physical access code, so you do not forget it or purchase one online at this time. If you continue with your free trial, you will be prompted for these same three options every time you log in to WebAssign.
My instructor has provided me with a username and password.
Well, that certainly makes things easy. Log in . Need more help? Download our Quick Start Guide for step-by-step instructions.
I am registered in the wrong course with the class key I was provided by my instructor. What can I do to register for the correct course?
Your instructor may have inadvertently provided you with an incorrect class key. You need to contact your instructor and request the correct class key for the course in which you’re registered.
Your instructor should also remove you from his/her roster for the incorrect course for which you were registered to avoid any confusion.
How do I manage my profile information, like username or email address?
To manage your profile information, log in to WebAssign and locate "My Profile", which will either be on the left side navigation bar (if minimized, select the head icon) or behind the gear icon on the header.
How do I change my Student ID number?
Your Student ID must be entered at the time of account creation. If you did not include your Student ID at the time the account was created, we can enter it in for you if you create a customer support case , or you can contact your instructor to have him/her add it to your account.
How much does WebAssign cost?
The cost of WebAssign varies based on the textbook your instructor has selected. Once you’ve logged into the platform, you’ll view all of your purchasing options for your title. And remember, if your textbook costs more than $119 or you’re taking multiple courses using Cengage textbooks, Cengage Unlimited could be a more affordable option for you.
I have a WebAssign account, but need an access code for homework and class materials. How can I buy a WebAssign access code?
There are four ways to obtain an access code:
- Purchase a textbook that is bundled with an access code card, and enter the code after logging into WebAssign. Important! Before opening the access code, ensure that you purchased the correct textbook by checking that the prefix for your access card matches the textbook. If they do not match, please make sure that you purchased the correct textbook. If you did, then ask your instructor to ensure that the correct textbook has been selected in WebAssign.
- Purchase an access code card separately at your bookstore, and enter the code after logging into WebAssign. Important! Before going to the bookstore, find the matching prefix for your textbook title to ensure that you purchase the correct access code card. Enter the access code after logging into WebAssign.
- Purchase an access code online after logging into your WebAssign account. This method is the easiest because WebAssign automatically provides a correct code for each course. A credit card or PayPal account is needed for this option.
- Some institutions, particularly secondary schools, provide access code cards to students. Ask your instructor if you're unsure.
Note: You must be on the roster of an active WebAssign course in order to purchase access directly through WebAssign.
My course is now accessed through a custom login page. What happens to my access code?
Since your course(s) are now accessed through a custom login page, a new WebAssign account was created for you. Your access code must be transferred to your new account by the WebAssign staff.
Please contact Customer Support and tell us your previous username and your current username. If the code was a multi-term code and is transferable, we can apply it to your new account.
Toll free: 800.354.9706
Student Support Hours
Call us anytime! We’re here 24/7
How long is an access code valid?
Single term access lasts for the duration of a single course in WebAssign.
Lifetime of Edition (LOE) or Multi-term access means that students who take another WebAssign course using the same book and edition do not need to purchase access again.
Since WebAssign works with copyrighted material, there is no form of access code that works for multiple textbooks or for all WebAssign courses.
Can I use a single access code for two classes at the same time or for different terms?
Most WebAssign access codes are valid only for one class and one term. In addition, access codes are tied to the textbook and edition with which they are used.
However, if you are taking two courses that use the exact same textbook and edition, are using the same account for both courses, and have a multi-term access code (or Lifetime of Edition) it will work for both courses. This is also true from term to term.
If your code is a single-term access code, or the courses use two different textbooks, the access code will not work for both courses, and you must purchase additional access.
My class uses Blackboard.
If you are using Blackboard to access WebAssign, log in to WebAssign via Blackboard . Need more help? Download our Quick Start Guide for step-by-step instructions.
When I click on WebAssign in Blackboard, I am told “Invalid login” and shown a login page, but I do not know my login information. What can I do?
When students are going through Blackboard and receive this message, it could be one of a few issues.
Your browser may not be set to allow third party cookies. This is especially common in many versions of Safari. You can read more in our Student Help for steps to ensure third-party cookies are enabled in your browser.
If third-party cookies are enabled and you have just started receiving this error, you may need to clear your web browser’s cookies and cache. Steps vary by browser and can be found below:
Firefox Safari Chrome Internet Explorer
If none of these steps work, try a different web browser to see if it is a browser-specific issue.
My class uses Canvas, Brightspace, Moodle or Sakai.
If you are using Canvas , Brightspace , Moodle or Sakai , log in to WebAssign via your LMS.
How do I know if my assignment was submitted?
This can vary by the assignment options selected by the instructor of the course, but in most cases you should see a "submitted" banner at the top of the page, shortly after clicking the submit button.
In WebAssign, there is no need to submit the assignment as a whole if the questions were already submitted individually. If you see a correct or incorrect mark next to your answer for a question, that question was submitted. If all of the questions have a correct or incorrect mark, the assignment has been completely submitted.
If the course instructor has elected to turn off correct/incorrect marks for students, the easiest way to view whether a question has been submitted is to click the plus sign next to the question number to see if a submission has been used.
For more information, see submitting assignments in our Student Help.
How do I request an extension on an assignment?
Instructors determine whether to enable extension requests on assignment due. If your instructor allows extension requests, submit an extension request to him/her for review and determination. To make a manual extension request, if enabled:
- While working on your assignment, click Extension Request.
- Click the Manual tab.
- Enter your message and click Submit.
Your instructor will review your request and can choose to approve it, deny it, or request additional information from you before making a decision.
Can I get an email notification when my instructor changes a due date?
Yes, you can receive email reminders about upcoming assignment due dates or when your instructor posts an announcement, sends you a private message, or responds to your extension request or Ask Your Teacher message.
To request email notifications:
- Select the Bell icon on the header
- On the Settings tab, select the notifications you want to receive
- Choose “Save.” A warning is displayed if you do not have a verified email address in WebAssign
- Click the “Notification Contact Info” tab and verify that your email address is correct
To update your email address:
- Select “edit”
- Enter your new email address
- Enter your password
- Select “Save”
- Check your email for the new email address
- Open the message from suppo [email protected] with the subject "Your WebAssign Email Address”
- Click the link in the email or paste it into your browser's address bar. If necessary, log in to WebAssign
- Your email address is updated in WebAssign
How do I enter the pi symbol in WebAssign?
There are multiple ways to enter the pi symbol in WebAssign.
You can type the letters 'pi' and, if it is a mathPad/calcPad question, they will automatically convert to the pi symbol.
You can also find the pi symbol under the Greek section of mathPad or calcPad. Click the arrow to expand the first Greek section, and a button for the pi symbol will be there.
How do I enter exponents and bases?
If the question has a mathPad/calcPad there will be a symbol for exponents. On the mathPad, it can be found by clicking the arrow to the right of the square root symbol. Once you click this button, you can enter the exponent.
You can also make an exponent by using the "^" key. For example, 2 to the 2nd power is written as 2^2.
For bases you can use the _ (underscore) key. For example 2_2 subscripts
For more information on notations read the mathPad Reference or calcPad Reference in the Student Help.
Why are my answer boxes missing?
It is likely that your assignment has content that requires Flash and as such you should make sure you have an updated version for your browser. Please follow the instructions below to uninstall and reinstall Flash:
To Uninstall Flash, follow the instructions to uninstall Flash for your operating system.
- Download a current version.
- Save the file to a location that you have access to, such as My Documents.
- After the file has finished downloading, close your browser.
- Find the file on your computer and complete the installation process.
- Once Flash has been reinstalled, open your browser and try completing your assignment.
You may also want to try a different browser.
When I try to purchase WebAssign, the only option I am given includes the eBook. What if I don't want to purchase the eBook and only want homework access?
If the only option you see is to purchase 'Homework access with eBook,' then the textbook that your instructor chose for the course is only available for purchase as a bundle. In this instance, purchasing 'homework only' is not an option.
This also means that an access code that does not include the eBook will not be applicable to your course.
What do I do if my eBook is not working?
Issues with the eBook can be caused by several things.
If the eBook will not load (displays a blank page), you may need to clear your web browser's cookies/cache. The steps for each browser can be found below:
If the eBook is asking you to log in, you may need to clear your web browser's cookies/cache or enable third-party cookies.
To configure your browser to accept third-party cookies refer to the instructions for your browser:
Firefox 12 or later Internet Explorer 9 or later Safari 5.1 or later Chrome 19 or later
- Centennial Campus, 1791 Varsity Dr., Suite 200
- Our Partners
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest tips, news, and developments.
Deliver online homework and secure testing, plus the eTextbook and study resources for students
Create the Path to Success with WebAssign
Whether it’s pivoting your instruction to meet the needs of your students, helping them master challenging course concepts or assessing students to understand their progress— WebAssign can help.
Find a WebAssign Course
WebAssign Guides, Resources & Stories
WebAssign is changing for the better, and we can’t wait to share the latest features with you. Watch this video to learn how your instructor experience is changing.
Transforming Your WebAssign Experience
Streamline your instruction with simplified, intuitive LMS integration—now available with WebAssign .
LMS Integration Made Easy
Keep up to date on all things WebAssign with teaching tips, product updates, peer advice and more.
Stay in the Know with the WebAssign Blog
Explore how to use the flexibility and content within WebAssign to design and customize your corequisite course model.
Fostering Success in Corequisite Math and Stats Courses
Download Cengage Read for Free
Cengage Read lets students study whenever – and wherever – they want with online and offline mobile access to their eTextbook.
Resources to support students getting started
What is WebAssign?
- Accessing WebAssign
Getting started with WebAssign
WebAssign is an online homework platform for physics, maths and statistics. Your instructor will be able to create assignments and send them to you electronically. WebAssign will automatically mark your completed assignment and give you instant feedback on your performance. Your WebAssign has been customised by your instructor to guide you through the course and help you focus on what’s important. It includes highly visual content and interactive questions to help you develop a deeper understanding of your course materials. WebAssign can be accessed direct from your institution’s learning management system (Canvas, Blackboard, Moodle, etc.) or as a standalone resource.
You only need two things to get started:
- A class key from your instructor
- A unique access code
How to unlock WebAssign
- Go to Webassign.net and enter the class key your instructor has provided, then select ‘Enrol’
- If the correct course information loads, select ‘Yes this is my class’
- Now you’ll need to sign in. If you already have a Cengage account, enter your username and password. Or simply create a Cengage account WebAssign gives you trial access for 14 days after the start of class. To continue using WebAssign after that, you need to enter an access code.
- Sign in to WebAssign and select ‘Enter Access Code or Purchase Access’
- If you have not purchased an access code, you may purchase one online now. Search for and select the item, then follow the prompts to start your secure checkout . If you have purchased a print textbook, enter the access code located on the card that is packaged with your textbook
- Get 10% OFF at the checkout by using the discount code provided by your instructor. Don’t have a discount code? Ask your instructor for one
- Enter the access code and select ‘Redeem’
- To get back into your WebAssign course go to Webassign.net and log in.
How to unlock WebAssign in your LMS
- Head to your campus Learning Management System (LMS) homepage and log in
- Click on any link to Cengage WebAssign content* to continue the registration process
- If you already have a Cengage account, enter your username and password. Or simply create a Cengage account
- Choose buy now or get temporary access . Please note, if you select temporary access you will be able to trial WebAssign for 14 days
* Not sure where to click? Ask your instructor or try a few links. You'll know you've clicked the right one when you see the Cengage login screen.
Purchasing outside of Australia/NZ?
Contact our local tech support team on [email protected] and we'll help you out.
Looking for more information?
Head over to our contact us page to find out how to get in touch. We look forward to hearing from you!